Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum blocks

NUTHIN
    what blocks do top fuel teams use and why? B.A. teams what do they use? pro stock? nascar? SOME use iron blocks due to rules, or no?
    THANKS

lilrick
    this is gettin' juicy!!

QuickJet
    what blocks do top fuel teams use and why? B.A. teams what do they use? pro stock? nascar? SOME use iron blocks due to rules, or no?
    THANKS
    Here's proof that an aluminum block makes more power.
    Nuthin's aluminum motor makes over 1,100 hp.
    My Iron motor makes 700.
    Coincidence? I think NOT!!! :notam:

NUTHIN
    Here's proof that an aluminum block makes more power.
    Nuthin's aluminum motor makes over 1,100 hp.
    My Iron motor makes 700.
    Coincidence? I think NOT!!! :notam:nah thats just cuz ive got a lil huffer and 100ci more then you but i need all that to beat your flat :cry:
    figured its some good questions.. if its just a weight issue and iron makes more hp why arent they using iron blocks and busting up the top speeds records

QuickJet
    nah thats just cuz ive got a lil huffer and 100ci more then you but i need all that to beat your flat :cry:
    figured its some good questions.. if its just a weight issue and iron makes more hp why arent they using iron blocks and busting up the top speeds records
    Because the weight savings of the aluminum over the Iron outweighs the hp loss. 50 hp (and I'm sure that's a bit extreme not average) cannot make up for the extra 200 lbs. Especially in a car, where front to rear weight ratios are extremely important.

WannabeRacing
    Started in the Nascar and NHRA pro stock wars.
    You cannot make as much power with a standard aluminum block that you can with a cast iron block. The block will not stay as true and rigid. The movement represents lost energy. People that will agree:
    Warren Johnson
    David Reher
    Grumpy Jenkins
    John Lingenfelter
    John Kasse
    Steve Schmidt
    Sonny Leonard
    And tons more that have the testing data, and threw it away after learning that lesson.
    With some of the new blocks especially with the new billet blocks, you can make much closer to what a cast iron deal can. The forged blocks rather than cast started in this direction, and billet finished it off.
    But in the world of NHRA pro stock back in the day, they had to weigh a certain amount, so there was no help for running an aluminum block. They had to add the weight they lost right back again. And in about the same place as the block sat, so there was no advantage to aluminum. Now the rules state you have to have the right casting number of block in your car, and the casting numbers are all iron blocks, so it is much more tradition and rules. Same with nascar.
    But with us on the river, where there is no minimum weight limit, we can easily see an advantage even though the power is not equal.
    The top alcohol and top fuel teams run aluminum for a few reasons. One is the rules say you have to. NExt is repairability. When you blow up a cast iron block like these teams do, it is toast, where an aluminum block can be windowed, welded up and re-machined to run for years to come. Also, it is nice to get some of the shock absorbtion an aluminum block gives in an engine that runs like the nitro engines do. (Even though it is not a consideration; almost every nitro and alcohol team could not go under wieght with their aluminum blocks, much less a cast iron one.)

NUTHIN
    Started in the Nascar and NHRA pro stock wars.
    You cannot make as much power with a standard aluminum block that you can with a cast iron block. The block will not stay as true and rigid. The movement represents lost energy. People that will agree:
    Warren Johnson
    David Reher
    Grumpy Jenkins
    John Lingenfelter
    John Kasse
    Steve Schmidt
    Sonny Leonard
    And tons more that have the testing data, and threw it away after learning that lesson.
    With some of the new blocks especially with the new billet blocks, you can make much closer to what a cast iron deal can. The forged blocks rather than cast started in this direction, and billet finished it off.
    But in the world of NHRA pro stock back in the day, they had to weigh a certain amount, so there was no help for running an aluminum block. They had to add the weight they lost right back again. And in about the same place as the block sat, so there was no advantage to aluminum. Now the rules state you have to have the right casting number of block in your car, and the casting numbers are all iron blocks, so it is much more tradition and rules. Same with nascar.
    But with us on the river, where there is no minimum weight limit, we can easily see an advantage even though the power is not equal.
    The top alcohol and top fuel teams run aluminum for a few reasons. One is the rules say you have to. NExt is repairability. When you blow up a cast iron block like these teams do, it is toast, where an aluminum block can be windowed, welded up and re-machined to run for years to come. Also, it is nice to get some of the shock absorbtion an aluminum block gives in an engine that runs like the nitro engines do. (Even though it is not a consideration; almost every nitro and alcohol team could not go under wieght with their aluminum blocks, much less a cast iron one.)good info!! thanks.. i have no reasons for buying an aluminum block.. just sounded good.

cyclone
    good info!! thanks.. i have no reasons for buying an aluminum block.. just sounded good.
    i'd love to be wrong. i don't have problem with that. In the end being wrong about this isn't a huge deal to me. I'd rather learn something and be wrong about it. But i have a problem with this statement:
    "And tons more that have the testing data, and threw it away after learning that lesson"
    no builder worth his salt throws away test data.
    like i said before, don't tell me someone told you an aluminum block makes less power, show me.
    still waiting on the proof and not a pissing match...

wsuwrhr
    Who cares Cyclone?
    50 less HP was the last on my list when I ponied up for my block.
    I don't even know if it made the list.
    Brian
    i'd love to be wrong. i don't have problem with that. In the end being wrong about this isn't a huge deal to me. I'd rather learn something and be wrong about it. But i have a problem with this statement:
    "And tons more that have the testing data, and threw it away after learning that lesson"
    like i said before, don't tell me someone told you an aluminum block makes less power, show me.
    still waiting on the proof and not a pissing match...

NUTHIN
    still waiting on the proof and not a pissing match...yeah i liked the explanation to my questions.. but ide like to see data also.
    or even if someone has same mtr as myself but iron to compare dyno info!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast