Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint ??????

BILLY.B
    If anyone out there has any paint questions on how too's i'd be happy to give info if needed.

woskie70
    i am looking into painting my boat and wonderd if i should paint it or gel coat it? what is better and what prices would i be looking at for each?

hallett 260
    I have a question. I had my boat painted down here by Rock and Roll Custom Paint. They did a great job on the air brushing and colors but a bad job on the clear coat. There is a ton of orange peel.
    What can I do to get rid of the orange peel? How many coats of clear should be put on before color sanding?
    Zach

cracker
    Billy,
    would the problem be that they mixed the paint to the specks and should have added a little more reducer? I found that if I added a little more reducer than the recipe the orange peel tendency went away and it flowed better. Is there a drip test for that?

copperrat20
    Hey Billy,
    I also have some questions for you. I recently had my boat painted. They sprayed the graphics on it then striped it and finally cleared over that. Now my father told me that back in the day, when you cleared over your work, that you couldn't feel any of the pin striping or blemishes that were in the basecoat. I can feel some of the striping and graphics edges that are under the clear. Should there be more clear on the boat where I shouldn't feel anything?

BILLY.B
    i am looking into painting my boat and wonderd if i should paint it or gel coat it? what is better and what prices would i be looking at for each? Let me first start off by saying i'm sorry for not replying sooner but when I put this thread up it didn't appear on the boards so I figured they (moderators) weren't going to let it fly. So with that said i'll try and answer the questions. I would think it would depend on what type of boat you have and what you do with it (gel or paint). If it's a family type boat and you have kids and friends walking on the deck and not much up keep taken i'd say gel it, more durable. If it's a river or lake racer i'd paint it just due to the krazy ideas you can come up with in paint. Cost for gel can be more labor intensive then paint hence cost goes up. All of the cost (gel or paint) depends on the size of the boat and how mild or wild you want it.

BILLY.B
    I have a question. I had my boat painted down here by Rock and Roll Custom Paint. They did a great job on the air brushing and colors but a bad job on the clear coat. There is a ton of orange peel.
    What can I do to get rid of the orange peel? How many coats of clear should be put on before color sanding?
    Zach Depending on how much clear they put on the boat will dictate how much you can colorsand to get it smooth. Did they ever colorsand and rub it themselves???. If so i'd call them and ask them how many coats they normally put on. If there's enough ( 4 to 5 ) coats of clear urethane you can start with 1500 wet or dry and go up to 2000 and then rub it out. We start with 1000 to 1500 to 2000, but that's because I know how much clear I have on a job. If the orange peel is really really bad it may need to be sanded down and re-cleared. If you need any more info you can pm me. Hope this helps you out.

BILLY.B
    Hey Billy,
    I also have some questions for you. I recently had my boat painted. They sprayed the graphics on it then striped it and finally cleared over that. Now my father told me that back in the day, when you cleared over your work, that you couldn't feel any of the pin striping or blemishes that were in the basecoat. I can feel some of the striping and graphics edges that are under the clear. Should there be more clear on the boat where I shouldn't feel anything? There are tricks to the trade that can be done even before you clear coat to get rid of any edge's, and putting more material on a job isn't always the best answer. I for one HATE edge's, but getting rid of them translates into more cost because of the time it takes. One way that custom painters get rid of them is to clear the job even before pinstriping, colorsand the job, pinstripe it and then re-clear colorsand and rub it out. Believe it or not pinstipe colors tend to rise when there cleared over and can be felt ( just slightly), but should go away after being colorsanded and rubed out. One question for you...Did you add graphics to the gel or did you paint the whole boat????.

Let me first start off by saying i'm sorry for not replying sooner but when I put this thread up it didn't appear on the boards so I figured they (moderators) weren't going to let it fly.
    While not starting out as a true How To topic I felt it had potential to grow into one being that you were gracious enough to offer your help. Thanks for the help Billy as I know painting is an area that is as much art as science and your insights and tips will be invaluable to forum members.
    Just so you guys know the process in the How To forum... you submit a thread. It goes to a Moderation quere for approval before appearing online. If it meets the guidelines we approve it and it becomes visible here. If it doesn't its either moved to the appropriate forum (the common outcome) or deleted if it has no relavence to anything useful.

copperrat20
    There are tricks to the trade that can be done even before you clear coat to get rid of any edge's, and putting more material on a job isn't always the best answer. I for one HATE edge's, but getting rid of them translates into more cost because of the time it takes. One way that custom painters get rid of them is to clear the job even before pinstriping, colorsand the job, pinstripe it and then re-clear colorsand and rub it out. Believe it or not pinstipe colors tend to rise when there cleared over and can be felt ( just slightly), but should go away after being colorsanded and rubed out. One question for you...Did you add graphics to the gel or did you paint the whole boat????.
    Well it was a hydro in pretty bad shape first off. So when I got it, I gutted it. Then I got my dad to cap it and help me flip it over to do the bottom. Then he gelled the whole bottom up to the cap. Then we flipped it and worked the top. Once the top was looking good we sprayed automotive paint on the top, then I had the graphics put on the top and the boat cleared all the way down to the runners on the sides and to the bottom of the sponsons. So the bottom is solid gel. So the only thing that I don't like is the clear. It has certain spots where there is pin holes and I don't know if the clear should fill that. And you can feel a slight edge on the graphics and striping. The whole boat was color sanded and buffed out after the clear was finished.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast