Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint ??????

Roostertail
    I am getting ready to repaint my boat and I wanted to get a couple of questions answered. The boat has the original Gelocoat, but the top has been re-cleared with an automotive type clear not gel.
    What is the best primer to use?
    Is it better to use a urethane clear?
    What is the best type of filler to use for small chips in the gel-coat on the bottom?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Terry

BILLY.B
    Trying again...
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...deck_2-med.jpg
    After a 4" angle grinder and about 4 hours....
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...C00484-med.JPG
    Over did it a little with the grinder and left a bunch of gouges around the contours. I'm thinking of using epoxy resin to laminate a new floor, bulkhead & transom and am debating on whether to use a thickened epoxy resin as a fairing compound on these gouges. I've read that alot of paints (needless to say gelcoat) do not adhere to epoxy. What paints, besides epoxy, will stick??OH MY GOD!!!!. Why did you use an angle grinder on your boat??. "And people ask me why I do everything myself". Use a good quality bondo (Z grip by Evercoat is a good one) and fill the spots in question. You can then use a quality catalized primer (and it sounds like you'll need alot) to spray on the deck, block sand and you should be ready for paint. Now this may take a few times of primering and sanding but the time is worth the result.

BILLY.B
    I am getting ready to repaint my boat and I wanted to get a couple of questions answered. The boat has the original Gelocoat, but the top has been re-cleared with an automotive type clear not gel.
    What is the best primer to use?
    Is it better to use a urethane clear?
    What is the best type of filler to use for small chips in the gel-coat on the bottom?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    TerryIs the clear in bad shape?. Why do you feel you need to primer the whole boat?. As far as the bottom goes you could use a good quality bondo from an automotive paint store ( not Pep Boys etc, etc) and when your done you'd primer those spots and your ready to paint. No different then fixing chips on the top just make sure you prep the areas before applying bondo to the chips in question and also make sure you prep the bottom real well for good adhesion.

BILLY.B
    Billy,
    I got fitz's yellow boat (The outboard 18' V Bottom) and I was wondering what is the best way to get rid of the fading on the under side of the boat where the cover wasn't protecting. My uncle (Fitz) said that I could wet sand it and buff it out, but I am not sure that I want to do that.That will work, and believe it or not your uncle is RIGHT!!!!. Use 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper and work up to 2000 wet or dry. Polish out with a buffer and a cutting compound to get the sandpaper scratches out, polish with hand glaze and it should look new.

BILLY.B
    Billy,
    Have you ever heard of using pledge on gel coat to give it some gloss? Any drawbacks to this?
    Thanks.No real draw backs other then it doesn't last. I'd be more prone to use a spray wax or a quick detail spray for a quickie detailed look.

ss19crew
    That will work, and believe it or not your uncle is RIGHT!!!!. Use 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper and work up to 2000 wet or dry. Polish out with a buffer and a cutting compound to get the sandpaper scratches out, polish with hand glaze and it should look new.
    Thanks billy I knew that he was correct I just was wondering if there wereany other options but I guess that I will get to sanding and buffing as soon as the weather breaks

Floored
    how would SW ultra 7000 clear hold up on the boat over paint and gel? I've had good luck with it on bikes for several years, but never tried it on a boat. thanks

BILLY.B
    how would SW ultra 7000 clear hold up on the boat over paint and gel? I've had good luck with it on bikes for several years, but never tried it on a boat. thanksI use to use SW 7000 but have switched to PPG 2010. The 7000 worked great and was easy to work with but the store I buy from doesn't handle it anymore. Good luck.

Sup Earl......how about painting my scoop...? It'll be there soon.

wsuwrhr
    Sup Earl......how about painting my scoop...? It'll be there soon.
    So you do speaka da english.
    I lost my spanish decoder ring after a bottle of tequila, luckily I didn't have the last shot.....someone else had to eat the worm.
    Either way, no ring, no lingua, you dig?
    Brian
    You gota phone right?
    I got a phone pal.
    Try it out. haha.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast