Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Paint ??????

HammerDown
    Billy, great info/suggestion thanks. I feel better that the black is all the way through, I'll gid a little deeper.
    What the pic don't show is a orange pinstripe next to the black, so I'll have to be careful not to burn that off...as the haze is right next to it.
    PS. Also, any product/compond you could suggest that cuts good with a wool buffer in general that acts as a color restore vs doing a light full wet color sand on the boat, then to be followed with a polish and wax?

BILLY.B
    Billy, great info/suggestion thanks. I feel better that the black is all the way through, I'll gid a little deeper.
    What the pic don't show is a orange pinstripe next to the black, so I'll have to be careful not to burn that off...as the haze is right next to it.
    PS. Also, any product/compond you could suggest that cuts good with a wool buffer in general that acts as a color restore vs doing a light full wet color sand on the boat, then to be followed with a polish and wax?You can try 3M super duty rubbing compound followed by Finesse It 2, or Black Ebony with a polishing pad, preferably a foam pad ( black pad ) on the polishing. I'll tell you another thing to try...Meguiars Tech1 wax. Goes on easy and you can apply it to the hole boat at once and then remove. Leaves it super glossy and the wax fills minor surface scratches even on black. I use it on my flat bottom and my black crew cab and love the way it works. Now I have also used it on several jobs we've painted and if you want to get really anal you can go over the job with a quick detail spray and wipe off again and that leaves the surface super, especially the dark colors.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I just bought a 87' kachina jetboat and the gel is nice but it has a light fade to it. I polished it and it looked good but I know it can get prettier. What polish would you recomemd that i use to get maximum result and actually lasts? Also, what pad do I use to polish it with? Thanks in advance
    Michael

BILLY.B
    I just bought a 87' kachina jetboat and the gel is nice but it has a light fade to it. I polished it and it looked good but I know it can get prettier. What polish would you recomemd that i use to get maximum result and actually lasts? Also, what pad do I use to polish it with? Thanks in advance
    MichaelDo you mean it's hazy looking, or is there fade in the gel color itself???.

460 jus getn it
    Do you mean it's hazy looking, or is there fade in the gel color itself???.
    billy i just talked to 396 and he said its hazy.......................

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    here it is after a hand polish. I know it can look nicer......
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...21/239side.jpg
    here is a transom shot whis looks worse than the top.....
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...39polpump4.jpg

BILLY.B
    billy i just talked to 396 and he said its hazy.......................Does the hazyness go away if you get it wet with the hose?. If so try colorsanding it with 1500 and move up to 2000 wetordry. The reason for colorsanding the gel coat is to get the hazyness out, which could of been caused from sitting out and covered up in the sun. Use a cutting pad (wool) with 3M super duty cutting compound to remove sanding scratches. Once thats done you can use a black sponge pad with Finesse It 2 to bring back the gloss and remove swirl marks. Once finished try using Meguiars Tech Wax which can be bought at any auto parts store like Pep Boys or in your case try a Checker Shucks & Kragen, they should carry it. The wax can be applied to the complete boat before wiped off and will it really shiny and protected. I hope this info is usefull, any other questions don't hesitant to ask.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    It doesnt look better when it gets wet. it holds the polish good but I was just looking for a better polish to use with a machine. I dont think it needs colorsanded personally. I polished it last weekend by hand and its still holding its shine even after the monsoon. Lets say hat I didnt have to colorsand and just need a good polish, then what would you recommend?
    thans again for your time

BILLY.B
    It doesnt look better when it gets wet. it holds the polish good but I was just looking for a better polish to use with a machine. I dont think it needs colorsanded personally. I polished it last weekend by hand and its still holding its shine even after the monsoon. Lets say hat I didnt have to colorsand and just need a good polish, then what would you recommend?
    thans again for your timeI'd still try the Tech Wax by Meguiars. It seems to really work good on the stuff we do.

grumps avenger
    billy,restoring a old avenger,have ground out all the cracks on the sides from docks or rtrailer,filled them with dyna glass and sanded.what the next step? sand the boat with what grid,what primer to use without pissing of my neighbors,and can we still use it a couple times this year before its all taken apart.thanks.