Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Paint ??????

victorfb
    the learning curve continues. i sanded and smoothed out my orange peeled hood and resprayed it useing a thinner mix and less paint volume through the gun. man does that make you go slow. with such a small amout of paint going through the gun i was finding myself getting closer to the work so i can see the paint hitting its target. probably a big mistake as i still got a lesser quality finish than i am used to. i think one of the most important things to know when useing a HVLP gun is that you need patience. going slower, and staying consistant in distance and gun angle seems to be a major factor in achieving better finish quality. i didnt have other tips to play around with as of yet so there may be some more learning in that aspect aswell. all in all i think once mastered, the HVLP gun will be a great tool, but im not yet ready to do a complete swap. was thinking of getting a new touch up gun but for now, untill i get the feel and knowlege of useing HVLP guns, i will keep the conventionals in the shop. practice practice practice. i hope the supply house starts giving me a discount on paint, im gunna need it. lol

HBLavey
    Billy - Thanks for the time you put into this thread. I can't seem to find a clear answer to my question.... should be an easy one for you:
    My boat has a very basic paint theme (Red automotive paint stripes on top of White gel coat). I decided I want to change the scheme (winter project). Is there a way to remove the red auto paint and restore the gel coat that is under it? Or am I better off removing the red paint to a satisfactory level and painting over the areas where the stripes once were?

BILLY.B
    Billy - Thanks for the time you put into this thread. I can't seem to find a clear answer to my question.... should be an easy one for you:
    My boat has a very basic paint theme (Red automotive paint stripes on top of White gel coat). I decided I want to change the scheme (winter project). Is there a way to remove the red auto paint and restore the gel coat that is under it? Or am I better off removing the red paint to a satisfactory level and painting over the areas where the stripes once were? Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but VACATION was calling and I answered it. To answer your question it can be done but it will take time. Are the stripes clear coated or just single stage red??? I have taken a DA sander ( always keep the sander flat) and started with 320 and worked my way up to 2000 and then rubbed the area out so I had a white boat again. Chances are you might be able to see where the old stripes were ( painted areas tend to show where they were even when the have been removed, it like raises the gel coat slightly is the best way I can decribe it) but only you'll know and you might be able to incorporate you new scheme to go over some of the old area so as to take you eye away from it. If you don't trust yourself with the DA it can be done with a block and if you go that direction i'd start with 500 grit wet or dry and work your way up to 2000 wet or dry ( always use water with a little dish soap put in the bucket) and rub out the area. Hope this helps, worse case you put the new colors back where they the old ones were.

gochappy
    I was planning on gelcoating my 1962 boat however a local car painter said there would be problems with it.....he suggested I use paint with flex agent and it was probably still going to crack....I currently have the boat sanded to 80 grit for good adhesion of the gel but now am worried about which to use...its going to be a simple red and white color scheme...is one going to be better than the other...I am in a cold climate if that makes a difference and if paint, is one brand better for this than the other......Thanks

BILLY.B
    I was planning on gelcoating my 1962 boat however a local car painter said there would be problems with it.....he suggested I use paint with flex agent and it was probably still going to crack....I currently have the boat sanded to 80 grit for good adhesion of the gel but now am worried about which to use...its going to be a simple red and white color scheme...is one going to be better than the other...I am in a cold climate if that makes a difference and if paint, is one brand better for this than the other......ThanksGelcoating takes more time but it is alot more durable to the average boater who leaves his boat outside (covered or not), or who allows people to walk on the deck etc. If you were to paint it you don't need to add any flex agent. You get what you pay for so my suggestion is to use a quality paints such as PPG and you should have no problems. You could go either way, single stage or base coat clear coat. The base coat clear coat will cost more due to materials needed. Is this restoration or just a fun type deal????. If it's a fun type deal and your trying to save some $$$$$$ i'd single stage it especially if the majority of the hull is going to be white. Let me know if you need anymore help.

HBLavey
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but VACATION was calling and I answered it. To answer your question it can be done but it will take time. Are the stripes clear coated or just single stage red??? I have taken a DA sander ( always keep the sander flat) and started with 320 and worked my way up to 2000 and then rubbed the area out so I had a white boat again. Chances are you might be able to see where the old stripes were ( painted areas tend to show where they were even when the have been removed, it like raises the gel coat slightly is the best way I can decribe it) but only you'll know and you might be able to incorporate you new scheme to go over some of the old area so as to take you eye away from it. If you don't trust yourself with the DA it can be done with a block and if you go that direction i'd start with 500 grit wet or dry and work your way up to 2000 wet or dry ( always use water with a little dish soap put in the bucket) and rub out the area. Hope this helps, worse case you put the new colors back where they the old ones were.
    Here I was thinking you were getting tired of answering questions.... Thanks for the info! The red stripes are not clear coated. I'll give the DA sander a try once I'm done boating for the season, then I may have a question or two about painting.

Fired Up
    Hi Billy,
    I have some pin stripping on my Canyon that has worn/chipped in many spots. I'd like to fill them back in. What type of paint do I use?

BILLY.B
    Hi Billy,
    I have some pin stripping on my Canyon that has worn/chipped in many spots. I'd like to fill them back in. What type of paint do I use?One Shot lettering enamel. Or if you have a striper in your area take it to him because if I remember right some of those colors are mixed so it might be cheaper depending how many colors you need to do.

steelcomp
    Hey Billy,
    Sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you get a chance to read it??
    Thanks.

steelcomp
    Hey Billy,
    Sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you get a chance to read it??
    Thanks.
    Thanks for getting back to me.