Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about rings...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Who is using what and why? Gapless or total seal? Pro's and con's?

WannabeRacing
    The gapless and total seal second rings are awful. It was a flaw in the idea of what went on with internal combustion. Any compression that went by the first ring was caught by the second ring. The pressure would build up between the two and cause the top ring to flutter. Once the top ring flutters, it is no longer effective in any way. The second ring became everything and wiped out the top ring, and the second ring as it was thinner for the total seals, and had thin spots in the zero gap, became damaged regularly. Because some people saw minimal power increases when they were really fresh, the marketplace became brainwashed that these were at all good. They tried every method available thinking it was the top rings fault.
    The big dogs with the technology tried to get rid of this between ring compression and started having reliefs cut between the two ring lands. Started widening the ring lands. Gas ports to slam the top ring against the wall. Big scoops all the way around the piston between ring 1 and 2. Many pistons still have this. Then the boyz with the technology started letting whatever got by the top ring go right through. Cutting the ring gap on the second ring wider by 4-6 thou than the top ring. The top rings lived. Gas ports started to dissappear in engines needing longevity. It solved all of the top ring problems. Some engines dropped the entire second ring all together. GM started making the second rings on their engines wider in their standard vehicles, high hp vehicles and crate engines. More power and higher ring life. Others have probably done the same, but cannot say so as I have not taken them apart and measured. If you call guys like Akerley, Childs, Mahle- they will tell you the second ring is not a compression ring at all, but a secondary oil control ring. Now Total Seal and others are making what they should have made all along. A total seal or zero gap top ring. But they don't live like a good file to fit deal. If you need every ounce of power and not longevity, go for it. If you want every bit of power possible with unlimited longevity, just call up Ray Akerley and have him counsel you on rings, and buy from him for as cheap or cheaper than any other comparable ring.
    O.K. off my opinionated soapbox

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Good info buzz Im looking for longevity. I could care less if I left 25hp on the table. As long as Im not doing ring changes every year then Im fine. I used speedpro on my last motor and they worked great.
    How are the mahale file fits? The come with the dynoflo kits:idea:

WannabeRacing
    Mahale makes amazing stuff. We will hear more about them in the next few years. I have never run their rings, but everything else they do is very precision oriented and finished to perfection.

lucky
    I took back the rings after i divorced the biatches

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Mahale makes amazing stuff. We will hear more about them in the next few years. I have never run their rings, but everything else they do is very precision oriented and finished to perfection.
    I noticed that they have some nice pistons! They come deburr'd and coated.

Ryan00TJ
    I took back the rings after i divorced the biatches
    That's great! LOL
    I'm going with a set of SpeedPro PlasmaMoly on the new build. I've had great success with them in the past.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I've had no trouble with my set of Speed Pro Plasma Molly, molly #1 & #2 rings.

84camaro
    i run childs and albert file fit stainless rings. have ran hasting rings in the past came with my wisco's and hated them.

MACHINEHEAD
    Total Seal Max Seal top ring, ductile iron second w/ phosphate coating. 600Hp max w/4.31 bore in offshore (WOT) duty. They may not be able to transfer all of the necessary heat out of the piston in that critically thin area at the valve pocket (BBC). 4.47 bore engines have seen no problems with this in my experience (770HP) offshore duty. A jet will not get a chance to run 5 min. at WOT. So these would be my choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast