Thread: Republican supporter asks Democratic supporter for help

Knotbad
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/112706S.shtml
    Iraqi President Seeks Iran's Help
    By Ali Akbar Dareini
    The Associated Press
    Monday 27 November 2006
    Tehran, Iran - Iraqi President Jalal Talabani on Monday sought to enlist Iran's help in quelling the escalating violence that threatens to tear his country apart.
    "The issue of establishing security in Iraq is the most important part of our talks. We are in dire need of Iran's help in establishing security and stability in Iraq," state-run television quoted Talabani as saying after he met with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Tehran.
    The meeting between Talabani and Ahmadinejad, which was delayed for two days amid a security clampdown in Iraq, comes as Tehran is trying to assert its role as the top regional power broker to counter Washington's influence on Baghdad.
    During their talks, Ahmadinejad pledged Tehran's support in helping to improve security in Iraq.
    "Definitely, the Iranian government and nation will stand next to its brother Iraq and will do every help it can to strengthen security in Iraq," he was quoted as saying.
    "We believe a stable, developed and powerful Iraq is in the interest of the Iraqi nation, Iran and the whole region," Ahmadinejad said, according to the television report.
    Iran had been trying to organize a summit joining Ahmadinejad, Talabani and Syrian President Bashar Assad, but Damascus has not responded to Tehran's invitation. Talabani had planned to visit Iran on Saturday but had to postpone his trip until Baghdad's airport, which was closed after an especially deadly week, reopened Monday.
    The Iraq-Iran meeting comes ahead of US President George W. Bush's visit to Jordan later this week to meet with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. That visit, coupled with Vice President Dick Cheney's trip to US ally Saudi Arabia on Saturday, is seen as evidence of the Bush administration's intensified diplomatic efforts to bring stability to Iraq.
    But the United States has refused to negotiate with Iran and Syria to seek their support in quelling Iraqi violence, accusing both Tehran and Damascus of aiding insurgent groups there.
    Iran is believed to back Iraqi Shiite militias blamed in sectarian killings that have killed thousands this year. Iran has repeatedly denied the allegations.
    In recent weeks, the Bush administration has come under increasing domestic and international pressure to engage with Iran and Syria if it hopes to curtail the violence before Iraq breaks out into a full-scale civil war.
    The New York Times reported in Monday's editions that a draft report by a study panel led by former US Secretary of State James A. Baker III recommends more regional diplomacy, including holding talks with Tehran and Damascus.
    Ahmadinejad has said Iran is willing to help Washington with Iraq if the US drops its "bullying" policy toward Tehran - but will only do on its terms, not Washington's.
    "(Iraq's) occupiers need countries to help them get out of the quagmire," Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Monday, according to Iran's state-run news agency.
    Syrian officials, meanwhile, have been silent for days over whether Assad would attend an Iran-based summit, apparently to avoid embarrassing Tehran with a direct rejection.
    Iran is Syria's only close ally and a rejection would be an unusual snub, but Damascus may be more worried about angering the United States by joining Iran's attempt to assert itself in Iraq. Instead, Syria may likely be looking to holding potential talks with Washington in the future.
    Monday's visit is the fourth by Talabani, who speaks fluent Farsi, since he took office. He is a member of Iraq's Kurdish minority, but he had close ties with Iranian officials before Saddam Hussein was driven out by the US-led invasion in 2003.
    Talabani also is scheduled to meet Iran's former president, Hashemi Rafsanjani, later Monday and Iran's top leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, on Tuesday.

HighRoller
    I heard a military Major-General today express his disbelief at the notion that we would talk with Iran and/or Syria. It turns out that the press once again does not report that 80% or more of the IED's that wound or kill our troops are made or delivered by these two countries. We are definitely doomed to lose this war if we do not change course, and for the same reason as the Viaetnam debacle; the politicians are using the war to bludgeon each other in the political arena rather than stepping out of the way, shutting their mouth, and allowing the military to do absolutely whatever is necessary.
    We as a country will be doomed if we repeat this idiotic practice of reliving our past mistakes instead of learning from them.

Knotbad
    The Iraq Study Group(headed by old bu$h1 pal James Baker) has recommended exactly that; talk with Iran and Syria. If you or anyone else thinks we can achieve a military victory in Iraq you are drinking Neocon koolaid. A phased withdrawal is the only way to get out of the clusterfuk that is bu$h's Iraq.

QuickJet
    The Iraq Study Group(headed by old bu$h1 pal James Baker) has recommended exactly that; talk with Iran and Syria. If you or anyone else thinks we can achieve a military victory in Iraq you are drinking Neocon koolaid. A phased withdrawal is the only way to get out of the clusterfuk that is bu$h's Iraq.
    Why phase it? If you want to give up, why not have all the boys home in 1 week? Why the wait? You make no sense.
    We'll pull out as soon as we win. In order to win we have to take off the gloves and step it up. Why are we not using our tech weaponry? Why are we fighting a war in 2006 in the same style as WW1?

eliminatedsprinter
    No matter what happens we need to protect the Kurds. They have been loyal allies to us through all of this, their section has been peacfull, they have worked hard, and made the most of the oppertunity we have givin them. The Kurds have even produced a vidio titled "Thank You America". If you see it, it will choke you up.

bigq
    We can't win there, the politicians and what...60% of the population of the USA won't let us. What would need to be done is inconceivable at best. God forbid we ever get invaded by a other military force, we will be doomed.

Old Texan
    I am very thankful that you are behind a computer and no where of consequense in the general scheme of things. Your continued negative slanted cut and pasting offers nothing in the way of solution, only more F the system crap.
    Somewhere I recall you posted your age at 63? Either you are the "Rip van Winkle" of folklore or someone that hasn't been to close to reality for a lonnnggg time.
    You certainly have shown no opinion of your own, just the cut and paste rhetoric of the liberal bloggers that quite frankly isn't worth the space it occupies in print of cyberspace. You constantly insult the administration and those on this board and then play your nutless whining game when someone calls you a "name" or whatever. At first I thought you were an internet "Troll" but from you lack of content I believe you could be an even lower life form.
    Once again I ask, do you read the "cut and paste" you post and believeit? OR do you just want to try and get a rise out of those in disagreement?
    And again, "Who is the Muslim Brotherhood?" No one wants to answer that question. Why?
    Are the terrorists that want to destroy us real in your opinion? How do we defend ourselves? Do we pull our covers over our heads and never leave the country?
    How will your Scandanavian heroes you feel run a better utopia deal with the middle eastern jihadists that want their souls for publishing blasphomist pictures of Mohammed?
    Let's see if you are capable of answers.

Poster X
    I have often estimated that Iraq will be back to dictatorial ownership within 37 minutes of our pullout. I am changing my estimate to 35 minutes. I know y'all really want to win. I know you love adages like "keep a stiff upper lip" and "first in last out" and "never say die" or a plethora of other colloquial hail Mary's. However, there's nothing to win. Nobody to beat. It's just a never ending assault by individuals within the civilian populace whom you could never identify if James Bond and Douglas McArthur were running the occupation. Nothing will change no matter how long we stay and once we leave some tribal lord will stomp his way to the top, hang Talabani from the first lightpole near a door at the Presidents mansion and we'll be right back where we started. I say save the kids. Pull their ass out and go back to shooting missiles everytime they piss us off or go near the no fly zone. You can clean em up, shave em and buy em new jockey underwear. They'll still be cavemen.

eliminatedsprinter
    Of course we need to talk to Iran and Syria.
    How else can we threaten the hell out of them? :crossx: :wink: