Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can you store unleaded gas......

Badburn
    So im looking at the 10 or so empty 55 gallon drums on the side of my house, they are left over from lots of methanol in the race car.
    My latest hairbrain idea: why not buy 500 gallons of gas now when its cheap and use it in August when gas is real expensive?
    How long can you store unleaded gas in a sealed container before it goes bad? Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldnt work? :rollside:

Beer-30
    It goes stale at about 3 months or so. Will still fire a motor up to about a year, but it starts to stink and is not quality fuel.
    The money you would spend on Sta-Bil or other stabilizer would counter what you would save.
    I don't see that it would be worth it.

Froggystyle
    It only really goes sideways in a vented container. I don't know what the shelf life of it is long term though.
    I would think the hassle of pumping myself would negate any extra expense incurred at the pump.

we keep it for long periods of time at work in 55 gallon drums but in a huge refrigerator.want to see what happens to gas in the sun... fill up a clear glass bottle and leave it in the sun for a day it will turn black.another big prblem is gas is 70 vapor pressure in the summer and 12.5 in the winter nov- march,hope its not cheap in the winter because you may have vapor lock problems in the summer.biggest problem will be losing the light ends in the heat and if not vented seen gaskets bown out of 20"lines,i have seen gasoline lines not vented exceed 400psi.

sdpm
    Too Dangerous!!

voodoomedman
    I'm no expert but I do know that the formulas are different in summer and winter. Probably not a huge deal in SoCal but could be. Now speaking of SoCal. Gas prices always suck here. Actually isn't it usually a little bit more in the summer what with all the recreational activities and 3 day weekends they like to raise it for.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
    Plan on varnishing a lot of furniture with it, Also any time I have stored fuel for long periods of time I have had water contamination problems, pump, AV, or race. Just my opinion but I think the heat cycles break the fuel down.

Bense468
    So im looking at the 10 or so empty 55 gallon drums on the side of my house, they are left over from lots of methanol in the race car.
    My latest hairbrain idea: why not buy 500 gallons of gas now when its cheap and use it in August when gas is real expensive?
    How long can you store unleaded gas in a sealed container before it goes bad? Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldnt work? :rollside:
    I wouldn't store the gas. not worth it, too dangerous, but as a side note my buddy called me up the other day looking for empty 55 gallon drums. I refered him to my other buddy that is a VP dealer, but people that go out to glamis and such on big week trips run out of fuel. He has a 40' 5th wheel w/ pumping station and still doesn't hold enough fuel. He was looking for them to fill up at home and take them with him, so he doesn't have to pay the $4 a gallon. May want to post up in GD.com or glamis online...someone may take them off your hands.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Too Dangerous!!
    What's the ratio of gas to TNT?
    1/4 cup = 1 stick of Dynomite?

Froggystyle
    What's the ratio of gas to TNT?
    1/4 cup = 1 stick of Dynomite?
    Not even close, but you are right, it is explosive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast