Thread: XS motors

MONEYFURNOTHIN
    so is anyone gonna spill the beans on these things. i know there are a couple of dcb's with them, but everyone is so damn tight lipped. Im thinking that cant be a good thing

stoker2001
    you are referrring to 300XS Optimax?I love my single 250XS for everyday boating.I hear my 250 is conservativly rated and is more like 268hp and the 300s are right at 300hp from what i hear.My 250 has redlined at 6400,but i hear they are done making power at 5900 to 6000.i think the 300 redline is 6000 or 6100.The 300X will rev to 6800 and is a little stouter IMO.The advantage of the Optis is they never have visible smoke are quite and the mid range fuel economy is awesome compared to conventional 2 stroke EFI.I have personally got seven mile per gallon at slow cruise speeds and my goal is to break 90mph with the 224 Stoker.I have seen 87mph with a 26 ET lightnin and am waiting for the 28 Pro ET four to arrive,if Merc will ever release them :yuk: they only announced them last February at Miami boat show

MOBrien
    you are referrring to 300XS Optimax?I love my single 250XS for everyday boating.I hear my 250 is conservativly rated and is more like 268hp and the 300s are right at 300hp from what i hear.My 250 has redlined at 6400,but i hear they are done making power at 5900 to 6000.i think the 300 redline is 6000 or 6100.The 300X will rev to 6800 and is a little stouter IMO.The advantage of the Optis is they never have visible smoke are quite and the mid range fuel economy is awesome compared to conventional 2 stroke EFI.I have personally got seven mile per gallon at slow cruise speeds and my goal is to break 90mph with the 224 Stoker.I have seen 87mph with a 26 ET lightnin and am waiting for the 28 Pro ET four to arrive,if Merc will ever release them :yuk: they only announced them last February at Miami boat show
    hey there...how've you been? seriously, you've seen 87 and going for 90 with that 250? can barely even hear that thing running....at least last time I saw it in the water. that's impressive IMO.

STV_Keith
    My dad has a 250xs on his 25' Power Play open fish. It runs 6mph faster than the 250 Saltwater that was on there previously. It did just shit the air pump though. Retail replacement is almost a grand! :skull:
    http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/25...e/DSC_0471.JPG

LuckyStrike
    My dad has a 250xs on his 25' Power Play open fish. It runs 6mph faster than the 250 Saltwater that was on there previously. It did just shit the air pump though. Retail replacement is almost a grand! :skull:
    http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/25...e/DSC_0471.JPG
    OUCH !!! :cry:

stoker2001
    hey there...how've you been? seriously, you've seen 87 and going for 90 with that 250? can barely even hear that thing running....at least last time I saw it in the water. that's impressive IMO.Hey Brian,life is good,hope all is well with you.Stacie and i just got back from Pheonix World Finals IHBA.We made it to the final round outta 26 boats then got beat by six inches and had to settle for second in the points race/chase by a mere 14 points :notam: 90 mph on the Stoker is going to be a big challenge as the 87 was under extreme perfect conditions with a 26 pitch three blade lightnin ET race prop that i no longer own.I have been making headway recently as it is all about tweaking setup and a lot of test and tune.I did some lower unit and skeg mods that netted me a two mph gain with my 26 Bravo1 four blade ski prop that now runs 85 mph.The yet to be released PRO ET lightnin four blade overhub exhaust will be made out of the new X7 alloy that can be race prop thin and still reliable.This will allow me to run extreme transom heights and hopefully more speed.Hope to see you soon

stoker2001
    [QUOTE=STV_Keith]My dad has a 250xs on his 25' Power Play open fish. It runs 6mph faster than the 250 Saltwater that was on there previously. It did just shit the air pump though. Retail replacement is almost a grand! :skull:
    Thats not pretty,what year is the 250XS?6 mph is a huge gain on the 25'PP.Sporty gearcase?I would think the sportmaster case would not be good for such a big boat?Did it hurt the motor?i hear if the pump goes it usually takes a cylinder with it?I opted for the extended warrantee on my 2006 model.

STV_Keith
    Thats not pretty,what year is the 250XS?6 mph is a huge gain on the 25'PP.Sporty gearcase?I would think the sportmaster case would not be good for such a big boat?Did it hurt the motor?i hear if the pump goes it usually takes a cylinder with it?I opted for the extended warrantee on my 2006 model.
    It's an 03. Actually broke the crank and Merc warranteed the powerhead in 05, but they didn't change the air pump. The air pump had about 125hrs on it. No sporty...standard old clubfoot gearcase. 30" motor.
    The air pump going out didn't hurt the motor. It went into some kind of limp mode where it wouldn't run at anything other than idle. Wouldn't even idle in gear.

hallett21
    the 250xs is awesome!!!! starts just like a car engine for us. we only boat 5 times a summer and a few frigid winter runs at havi. we've seen 73 on gps in our hallett vector. its definatley a power engine!!

TUNNEL T
    i know this guy around here that has a set of these on a dcb ,he's still playing with props and is still hitting the rev limiter with a set of 34cleavers 105 mph is the best so far .WAITING FOR A SET OF PROP ET'S ALSO motors are flawless ,excellent on fuel and very quiet !!!! rev limiter is right at 6500 , i think kev mioght be right with not makin to much power above 6100 . that is the most i can spin a set of 34 bravos . i won't done till i see 110 TUNNEL T
    P.S. I CAN BOAT ON TAHOE