Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Block Water

Wet Dream
    With the side drains removed, how much water can still be in the block? Is there enough to do any damage from freezing?

With the side drains removed, how much water can still be in the block? Is there enough to do any damage from freezing?
    i dont think there's enough water left to hurt/freeze, but if u want to be safe, u could put air thru 1 of the drains & blow out any excess or u could just fill the block with anti freeze!...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

supersoaker509
    I did it that way for two years on my Scarab with a 502 with no problems.
    This year I drained my 509 with the plugs then pulled the motor and put it on the stand and got out maybe 2 or 3 shot glasses full after the drain, not a enough to hurt anything.

Wet Dream
    Thanks. I also disconnected a few of the lines, and dumps and vacuumed them out with the shop vac. I even vac'd out the sides of the block. I just haven't added the antifreeze yet and didn't know how much water is actually still in there.

Moneypitt
    Hell, just fire it up. The heat produced in about 30-60 seconds will dry up any remaining water.............MP

DelawareDave
    After you drain everything, close it all back up, pull the thermo housing, and fill up with 50/50 antifreeze.
    PS- Still waiting to hear back from you.

SmokinLowriderSS
    1-2 gal of prop glycol costs $2.50 a gallon at wal-mart. What's $5 for insurance on a block that costs what to replace??

LeE ss13
    I learned the hardway, you need to drain, (or protect with antifreeze), the Oil Cooler if you use one. The water freezing popped the cooling tubes. Bummer.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I learned the hardway, you need to drain, (or protect with antifreeze), the Oil Cooler if you use one. The water freezing popped the cooling tubes. Bummer.
    OUCH!

LynnsJet
    Don't use ethylene glycol based anti-freeze like you use in your car.
    Use RV antifreeze which is propylene glycol. It is much kinder to the environment when you put your boat in the water in the spring.
    It's cheap and does the job.
    And you can put some in your pump too. You know how no matter what you do when you move your boat some water comes out of the pump. Back flush some RV antifreeze through the pressure lines in your pump so that you can get some protection inside it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast