Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman Powder Coat Guns?

Hemicbx
    I picked up an old kitchen oven from a buddy. Easily held a split bowl. I think I could jam a 15" whel into it. 450° until it flows out, then back off to 400° for 20-30 minutes. Remove and let cool. Done.
    I'm not a very good painter (although I keep on trying to learn). My powder coated parts look great. The biggest problems are the imperfections in the castings. Believe me, these old Berk castings aren't very sweet.
    Hemicbx

I picked up an old kitchen oven from a buddy. Easily held a split bowl. I think I could jam a 15" whel into it. 450° until it flows out, then back off to 400° for 20-30 minutes. Remove and let cool. Done.
    I'm not a very good painter (although I keep on trying to learn). My powder coated parts look great. The biggest problems are the imperfections in the castings. Believe me, these old Berk castings aren't very sweet.
    Hemicbx
    You need a high temp filler for porus metals and poor castings, to smooth out the imperfections. Something like this
    https://www.pendrypowdercoatings.com...530d53ecf11bbe
    I'm going to pick up an old oven for when I do my parts, I fear my wife :crossx:
    Sleek

flat broke
    Since Hacker and I have done a good amount of stuff with the HF gun, and a trial run with the Craftsman deal, I'll throw my .02 in the mix.
    First off, save your $$ on the craftsman deal. It's a pile of crap that basically uses a fan to blow powder out of the cup, past the emitter and onto your part. There is no difuser, so the powder is more prone to clump, and also less likely to be charged for better adhesion (good material transfer).
    You can pick up the HF gun for less than a hundred, and save the rest of the $$ for the lifetime warranty (you'll need it). If you're doing lots of parts (entire rig kits, favors for friends, etc.) you'll end up wearing out the HF gun, but for onesie twosies its fine. As indicated earlier in the thread, DO NOT USE YOUR HOUSEHOLD OVEN as the fume are toxic and can also be explosive. This means you need to find an electric oven to use specifically for PCing stuff. The bigger the better as that will become your limiting constraint on what you can and can't powder.
    Second, just like with paint, prep is everything. Dirty parts, porous parts, etc. lead to less than stellar results. Take the time to properly preheat larger porous castings to get them to off gas before you apply powder. Nasty parts can be filled and smoothed with a temperature stable filler.
    IMHO the novelty of the DIY aspect of doing your own PC work wears off quickly. It's messy, good powder isn't cheap, and when you factor in your time, you can sometimes come out with more invested in the job than if you sent it out. But if you're doing custom stuff, want total control over finishes and timelines, then it is an excellent alternative. Like anything, look at the total amount you'll have to invest to do the job correctly before you jump in.
    Chris

sanger rat
    I started out with a old freebe kitchen oven. Now I have one made from a old 7up machine and one from a stand up freezer.

Hemicbx
    OK, finally, here are some pics. As I said above, this was done with the Eastwood Hot coat system and is my first shot at powder coating. I used their color called "Appliance White". Not sure how close it really is to Berk white, but who woud know and who would care. I just wanted it nice, white, & durable. Plain ol white can only show up so well in a picture, but trust me, it came out pretty sweet. I did everything from the transom adapter back:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...41100_1431.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...41100_1432.JPG
    Hemicbx

IMPATIENT 1
    looks sweet hemi!

gqchris
    Man that looks CLEAN Hemi!

Cas
    Great Job! You want to experiment with an intake manifold I have? I'm looking at the black chrome to have it done in.

Hemicbx
    I'm all about experimeting with this stuff. I just picked up some of the aluminum Bud bottles for test pieces. The cross country shipping (twice) probably makes a local guy look a whole lot better for you.
    I'll be hitting some motorcycle calipers in semi-gloss black this weekend, I hope.
    I had a lot of guidance from this forum on the PC deal. Flat Broke in particular gave me some good advic. Sorry, I can't remember the others right now. Also, like I said above, the Eastwood forums were invaluable.
    Hemicbx

flat broke
    I'm all about experimeting with this stuff. I just picked up some of the aluminum Bud bottles for test pieces. The cross country shipping (twice) probably makes a local guy look a whole lot better for you.
    I'll be hitting some motorcycle calipers in semi-gloss black this weekend, I hope.
    I had a lot of guidance from this forum on the PC deal. Flat Broke in particular gave me some good advic. Sorry, I can't remember the others right now. Also, like I said above, the Eastwood forums were invaluable.
    Hemicbx
    You might want to check into a high temp stable powder for that caliper project. Brakes can get pretty toasty if they are used often. Thanks for the kind words on the other stuff. Your pump came out looking good.
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12