Thread: Plumbing???

TRIMMIN
    When we had the new motor (383sbc) on the run in stand it would not come up to temp and got condensation in the valve covers. Checking cyl. head temps the rear was running hotter than the front. We are using a Magna Flow and a 4X2 Air Gap. My engine builder would like to plumb from the two top rear ports on the Air Gap to a 1" spacer under the T-stat and also use a T-stat as we will be in cold river water alot of the time. Anyone have any ideas on this?

SmokinLowriderSS
    The RPM Air Gap 2.0 on my 454 is made to have the heads plumbed from the top rear corners on the manifold crossover to the front corners on the manifold, just to reduce the "hot-spot" there, so I did it. I'd do it, it won't do any harm, actual bennefit, I am uncertain.
    Are you running in a jet or an I/O? I have never run a t-stat but my water flow to cooling is restricted by being valved at the pump. Regardless of water temp I run a decent engine temp, but it does vary IF I go out real early in the year, or real late, by about 10* 90% of summer, no change. My engine runs about 170 at idle, 130 flat out, and I have never noticed a condensation problem.

TRIMMIN
    The boat is a v-drive and we haven't had this motor in the boat yet, only on the run in stand. We tried restricting the in and out and did bring the temp up pinching the out. So I'm going to try a Hardin T-stat. Have seen some round-d-round motors with this kind of plumbing from intake to T-stat housing. I would like to idle at about 160 degrees.