Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tool guys/mechanics in the house... I need Xmas help...

YeLLowBoaT
    My younger brother is going to school right now to become a mechanic, he is starting to buy his own tools. I am thinking about getting him a decent torque wrench. Any one have a good req for one that won't break the bank?
    There are tons of brands out there that are all priced about the same ( under $300) I want to buy him something that will last a long time, be easliy recalibrated and accurate.

IMPATIENT 1
    i've got the 1/2 snap on digital read out wrench and love it. i'm a gm tech and use it all the time, still accurate after 8yrs of abuse. i think i seen it on the snap on truck for @280-300. if he's just beginning, the craftsman 65 buck special is ok till ya drop it, but good for beginners.

YeLLowBoaT
    um I just looked all they carry now for electronic torque wrenchs now are over $1300 :frown:
    They do have tons of click type that are 200-300. I'm guessing that something like a 50-150 would be most useful? or would it be better to get him one thats like 20-80?

IMPATIENT 1
    get one that goes from 40ftlbs to 200ft lbs or somewhere in that area. i still use a craftsman click type at home, still works great(was the 100 buck 1). it'll cover doin heads and most torque needs. the smaller torque wrenches are for transmission work or where you need to torque down plastic type gaskets without stipping treads in alum., hell get him both for @180, he'll need em eventually.

wsuwrhr
    Don't be a cheap ass. Get someone to go in with you and buy the good stuff.
    Cheap tools are just that. Cheap.
    Brian
    My younger brother is going to school right now to become a mechanic, he is starting to buy his own tools. I am thinking about getting him a decent torque wrench. Any one have a good req for one that won't break the bank?
    There are tons of brands out there that are all priced about the same ( under $300) I want to buy him something that will last a long time, be easliy recalibrated and accurate.

Don't be a cheap ass. Get someone to go in with you and buy the good stuff.
    Cheap tools are just that. Cheap.
    Brian
    Actually I think the saying goes " Cheap shit aint good and good shit aint cheap."

Infomaniac
    Mac Tools Chip Foose limited edition sets are still available. $700.00
    Good assortment of stuff.
    I got Info Jr. one for Christmas

Kindsvater Flat
    Mac Tools Chip Foose limited edition sets are still available. $700.00
    Good assortment of stuff.
    I got Info Jr. one for Christmas
    Not a bad deal.
    Tool Set (https://www.mactools.com/portal/site...000426fa8c0RCR D&vgnextfmt=default)

Kachina26
    Not a bad deal.
    Tool Set (https://www.mactools.com/portal/site...000426fa8c0RCR D&vgnextfmt=default)
    • 3 year warranty
    Not so good IMHO, when you use 'em every day, they do break.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast