Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old rigger- more questions

blown428fe
    Can a Rigga get a WHOOP-WHOOP?

DelawareDave
    Thanks for the excellent info, old rigger. The area with the dip, forward of the dash, is actually in the area of the rubrail. The 4 inches or so that is raised around the perimeter. I will get some pics posted to compare the 2 sides, and you will see what I am referring to.
    The boat has a 2 piece bulkhead forward of the dash. There is an opening, I assume, to put stuff up under the bow, as well as allow access. It is about 16 inches wide.
    The deck still has a nice arch to it.
    The work will be done over the winter, as soon as I get myself situated. The old house didn't have a big enough garage to put my tools in, let alone a boat. The new house will work, but I need to get the lights, heat, and air all hooked up.
    I built a dolly to set the boat on while I work on it.

Old Rigger - Very Nice Instructions, Your The Man. You Wouldnt Happen To Know The Weight Of These Hulls Would You?
    sorry man, I don't know the weights. If I did know 'em at one time, I fockin forgot now.
    There were so many hull designs there, can't remember all the details. Wish I could.
    Hell, I've been looking at this old ad that someone posted a week or so ago and I can't remember building that double stepped cruiser in the upper left hand of the picture at all. Ever. We had lot's of different cruisers, but I'll be damned if I can remember that one. lol
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ds20320015.jpg

DelawareDave
    Dave,
    Do you ever run in the Delaware River? (Dodging the tugs & tankers) Particularly up to the Rancocas Creek area in South Jersey, across from Philly?
    The reason I ask, is that back in the mid-'70s, there was a bada$$ flatty, running out of there named "Screaming Yellow Zonker".
    He used to out run our CG Patrol Boats all the time. I was wondering if that boat was still around that neck of the woods?
    I know the Rancocas like the back of my hand. I used to float on a tube with the current when I was 12 years old. I watched when the Centerton Bridge was opened with a big key. The guy from the bait shop would come and put the key in the hole in the middle of the bridge and walk around in a circle to open it. There used to be a little marina right next to the bridge. There was Dunbar's marina, at the foot of Salem Road (when it was still dirt), before it was plowed under to build the Country Club section of Willingboro. There used to be a drawbridge on Rt 130. there were a couple of sunken tugs just past that bridge. I used to water ski there when I was about 16, around Rancocas Village.
    But this was all back from about 1962 til 72 or so. I didn't come back to the area til 96 or so. After that I ran the Delaware from the C&D Canal, up to the Trenton railroad bridge.
    I never really paid much attention to the V-drives or jet boats, but on a quiet summer evening, I could hear them quite well from my house.
    My B.I.L. was working out of the NJSP Marine Patrol trailer in Burlington, but I don't know for sure what year range it was. He retired a few years ago and they moved to Sierra Vista.

Boatcop
    I know the Rancocas like the back of my hand. <SNIP>.
    We plied the same waters.
    I did 2 tours over there. 1975-'77, on the boat station there at Gloucester City. Ran from Trenton all the way down to Ship-John Shoal. And then again on one of the USCG Tugs at Gloucester. 1981-'84 Our area was Trenton to Cape May/Lewes De.
    The Screaming Yellow Zonker was based out of the Marina by the bridge you speak of, I believe. I towed a lot of broke boats into there, back in the day.

DelawareDave
    We plied the same waters.
    I did 2 tours over there. 1975-'77, on the boat station there at Gloucester City. Ran from Trenton all the way down to Ship-John Shoal. And then again on one of the USCG Tugs at Gloucester. 1981-'84 Our area was Trenton to Cape May/Lewes De.
    The Screaming Yellow Zonker was based out of the Marina by the bridge you speak of, I believe. I towed a lot of broke boats into there, back in the day.
    Difficult call on which marina. Centerton Bridge was on Bridge St, out of Rancocas, Martin's Beach, where Dunbar's used to be, there was Eble's, quite popular, just below the Rt 130 bridge, Ran-Del Marina, just below the Riverside- Delanco bridge. There was a long defunct marina across from Ran-Del, that is now Lightning Jacks's, but I don't remember much old history on it.
    But I do remember that I saw some jets/v-drive boats up in the creek around Riverside in the last 6 or 8 years.
    I lived not far from Martin's Beach, about a mile, in the 60's, so most likely since I could hear them, they were coming from that area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12