Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dammit. Any OSHA experience on here?

Mandelon
    One of our imported guys took a header making a mis-step off a ladder today. 8 foot drop onto his head. Knocked out for 10 minutes. He got an ambulance ride to the ER. MRI, they'll be keeping him overnight for observation. He's awake but pretty out of it.
    Workers' Comp and OSHA were both notified as per the rules. They say if he's not kept over 24 hours no big deal, but more than that they open an investigation.....
    Any ideas what they might be like?
    Thanks.
    Jose has a hard head, so I think he'll be fine....:hammerhea He's been with us a couple of years. He's a really nice guy, good attitude, just not the sharpest crayon in the box....

lewiville
    just in case..... i would say attorney

phebus
    If you were working within OSHA guidelines, I wouldn't worry.

YeLLowBoaT
    Well its kind of like when you get pulled over... they are going to check DL, reg and INS. they are also going to talk to him and any one that might have seen it happen. I was on the flip side of the coin... working for a crew that did fire work 2 of us had a whole sheet of soaking wet dry wall on us. knocked us both out cold.

rrrr
    They'll be asking for your printed safety plan, records of safety meetings, inspection of equipment, etc. You also have to have certain notices posted, blah blah blah. Paperwork!!
    I don't have the info here at home, but anytime a worker is on a ladder over a certain height fall protection is required, a safety belt and a fall lanyard.
    I bought an OSHA manual that is put together specifically for the construction trades by these guys:
    http://www.aspenpublishers.com/
    Look on their site for "OSHA Guide for the Construction Industry". It makes all that stuff easier. Not gonna help you tomorrow, but I would get one pronto.
    edit: Just looking at the website, there are specific manuals for California.....you lucky guys.

Mandelon
    We have the OSHA safety manual, custom made for us, but not so much records of safety meetings. Most of our work is ground level, we have harnesses, but they didn't take them today. It was some basic termite work from I understood. I haven't been to the project so I just don't know.
    I hear they can fine you for little shit, so I just wondered if they plan on poking around our office/shop or just the jobsite?

rrrr
    You don't have to allow them access to your shop.....at least in Texas. We can make 'em give proper notice and come back later. Just depends on Cali law I guess. Good luck....

MOBrien
    funny you had this thread up. I just happened to be in Cal/OSHA training all day today and we talked a lot about accidents like this. Disclaimer-this is not to be taken as advice, just passing discussion. OK.
    Just make sure your IIPP/Code of Safe Practices is in order, that your training documentation is available with his acknowledgement/signature, and that the equipment was in proper working condition/safe environment. The EMT/hospital that picked him up/received him are required to notify OSHA as well or they get fined. So if you did too, you're definitely good with the reporting end. If an investigation does take place, which from what I am told will be at their discretion, just make sure you have your paperwork & story straight and you shouldn't have anything to worry about....except getting your guy back on the job soon.
    Good luck.

MOBrien
    I hear they can fine you for little shit, so I just wondered if they plan on poking around our office/shop or just the jobsite?
    they definitely can and will fine you pretty easily if they feel something is amiss. Something like a minimum of $18K to a maximum of $25K? And can poke around your office or site whenever they want to. Might need a warrant to retrieve docs though? dunno.
    my understanding is that Cal/OSHA vs. the rest of the country OSHA....different game. If you hold any responsibility/accountability for this person's safety on the jobsite via supervision, training, etc.........I'd visit that site tomorrow to verify things were right if I were you. OSHA is not one to eff with. Especially those that are on a big power trip because they know they can make life very tough on you.
    Again, good luck with it.

Daytona100
    Just wondering is he a legal worker green card etc?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast