Thread: A pretty nice guy

Poster X
    I have debated every modern President you can imagine but Gerald Ford. He never came up. I've seen attacks on every President you can name. Except Gerald Ford. I've seen every modern President blamed for everything from hurricanes to the mafia. Except Gerald Ford.
    I don't guess I've ever heard a bad word about Ford. Some people still whine about his amnesty to Nixon. Some people still say he did the right thing to move the country forward. But none said anything really personal about Ford that I heard.
    Must of been a pretty nice guy?

eliminatedsprinter
    President Ford was attacked for pardoning Nixon and he was attacked by some conspiracy nuts for his role in the Warren Commission report.
    He was very unpopular while he was President. After all, he did lose an election (as an incumbant) to President Carter. However, he was also in a less shrill, smarter, and more professional political climate than today's. Time and History has also shown him to have done well for the circumstances he inherited.
    He also had fine personal charicteristics.
    Eagle Scout
    Honor Student
    Football Star
    Decorated WWII Naval Veteran
    He was by all respects a renaissance man who excelled in every field he entered.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Check everything democratic from the mid 70's thru the mid 80's. He was constantly villified as a buffoon, just as Regan later was, just as Bush Sr was, just as W Bush is/will be, just as the next one will be. Every single republican president since Nixon (to include Nixon) has been raked over the coals this way. Hell, Ford put Chevy Chase on the map by Chevy mimmicing the one-time he stubbed a toe someplace. Next thing you know, Chevy's every gag on SNL was stumbling and falling somewhere, usually when made up as Pres Ford.
    There are STILL conspiracy nuts who claim he whitewashed the Kennedy assasination, despite about 5 re-investigations of it, at least 2 of them within the last decade, which CONTINUE to lay it out as concluded. Ozwald shot 2 people, Kennedy & Gov Conneley, from the window, alone, NOBODY ON THE GRASS HILL. A fine job of marksmanship, unfortunately, at a US President, with fatal results.
    Pres Ford had class, and the strength of character to do what he felt was best for the country, even if it may not have been the best for his political party, or his political future, thus the pardoning of Nixon. It stopped all the partisan bickering there would have been if the impeachment had been pressed foreward, when the nation already had become fiercely divided politcially. Personally, I am against the pardoning, and the lack of the airing of the facts of the matter at trial, but I cannot fault the motives of Ford for doing it.