Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll take Saddam Hussein for $200 Alex

Poster X
    I'll take the unenviable position of defending Saddam Hussein. I'm brave that way. Do I think he was guilty? Yes I do. Do I think he deserved the death penalty? Yes I do. So what's the problem?
    The problem is we're over there selling Democracy. Actually, we're literally shoving it up their ass, but that's semantics at this point. We're there, that's for sure. If we're going to be there, then I belive we should be setting an example of the virtues and even the humanity of Democracy. Even at it's ugliest, Democracy is still a far cry better than let's say, anarchy. Anyway, there's no way Saddam got a fair trial. I know he doesn't deserve one. But everyone in a Democracy get's a fair trial. That's what separates us from monkey's and camel traders. I think he had at least two attorney's murdered and I'm pretty sure (under those circumstances) there wasn't a very long line of character witnesses nor defense witnesses period. It's also a bit pathetic that in this country the death penalty comes with an automatic appeal. But, since it does, I think this would have been a good time to ease tensions and give the man an appeal (hopefully) in a sedated Iraq or another country.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Blown 472
    Well now that he is dead, and there are no wmd's there for no worry of a "mushroom cloud" we can pull out and let them find their own way since the threat to the us is gone.
    What a glorious gift for the new year.
    Or is it a plan to goad the a rabs into more violence and justify the shipping of 30,000 more troops to this cluster ****?

bigq
    I'll take the unenviable position of defending Saddam Hussein. I'm brave that way. Do I think he was guilty? Yes I do. Do I think he deserved the death penalty? Yes I do. So what's the problem?
    The problem is we're over there selling Democracy. Actually, we're literally shoving it up their ass, but that's semantics at this point. We're there, that's for sure. If we're going to be there, then I belive we should be setting an example of the virtues and even the humanity of Democracy. Even at it's ugliest, Democracy is still a far cry better than let's say, anarchy. Anyway, there's no way Saddam got a fair trial. I know he doesn't deserve one. But everyone in a Democracy get's a fair trial. That's what separates us from monkey's and camel traders. I think he had at least two attorney's murdered and I'm pretty sure (under those circumstances) there wasn't a very long line of character witnesses nor defense witnesses period. It's also a bit pathetic that in this country the death penalty comes with an automatic appeal. But, since it does, I think this would have been a good time to ease tensions and give the man an appeal (hopefully) in a sedated Iraq or another country.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    What would have been a fair trial? Would it be a lesser sentence or proof that he did not murder the people when even he stated he did it? What is fair? Granted it might have been better to wait till the country stabilized, but it was their decision to deny the appeal and carry out the sentence. that being said i would rather see Osama dangling tediously from the camel threads. Maybe thats asking to much to actually get the person responsible for setting this all in motion.

bigq
    Well now that he is dead, and there are no wmd's there for no worry of a "mushroom cloud" we can pull out and let them find their own way since the threat to the us is gone.
    Or is it a plan to goad the a rabs into more violence and justify the shipping of 30,000 more troops to this cluster ****?
    If they send 30,000 more troops they better be willing to get this over with quickly.

HOTPURSUIT
    yeah that sounds like a great idea, pull out like cowards, leave the shi* hole Iraq to become a breeding ground for more terrorists and lose even further respect in the international community.
    Absolutely Brilliant, Blown472

Poster X
    I figure once you have two attorneys murdered and a puppet government supervised by an occupying army managing your trial, the word "fair" can be tossed out the window. He was slime and could easily have been convicted and sentenced under the jurisdiction of any recognized court. The rush to do it this way was bad taste and didn't show much enlightenment from the civilized occupying forces or the product they're selling.

QuickJet
    I figure once you have two attorneys murdered and a puppet government supervised by an occupying army managing your trial, the word "fair" can be tossed out the window. .
    Why? What about his trial wasn't fair? He admitted his guilt. He was slime and could easily have been convicted and sentenced under the jurisdiction of any recognized court..
    And he was.
    The rush to do it this way was bad taste and didn't show much enlightenment from the civilized occupying forces or the product they're selling.
    If anything it showed how far out of wack our policies are here at home. I wish (as does 75% of the country) that our judicial system carried out it's sentances in this quick and swift manner.
    He was guilty and got what was coming to him. What more could you want? Was it fair? NO!!! He should of bled to death of suffered in some inhumane way then had his soggy head crushed in and kicked around like a soccer ball. Or they could of tied his hands behind his back and thrown him from a 2 story building. That would of been fair.

Poster X
    I can't disagree with any of you. But we are over there trying to show these people we are evolved and fair and that under democracy everyone has rights. Instead we are saying, do as we say, not as we do. Between this and Gitmo it's hard for them to take the bag of goods we are selling seriously and that transfers into more hard work for our soldiers and inevitably corrupts their goal of a successful mission. They're still there even though you're having fun, and more than likely, things will now intensify. Jusy my thoughts. I'm not debating Saddams innocence nor his right to life. I feel the end result would have been the same. It would just have had more integrity.

bigq
    I figure once you have two attorneys murdered and a puppet government supervised by an occupying army managing your trial, the word "fair" can be tossed out the window. He was slime and could easily have been convicted and sentenced under the jurisdiction of any recognized court. The rush to do it this way was bad taste and didn't show much enlightenment from the civilized occupying forces or the product they're selling.
    I guess my point is a "fair" trial is a conviction. Their was only one outcome no matter where or who performed the trial and puppet government is a litle harsh. Young with hand holding, but I think as time goes on you will see them taking a more solitude approach.

QuickJet
    I can't disagree with any of you. But we are over there trying to show these people we are evolved and fair and that under democracy everyone has rights. Instead we are saying, do as we say, not as we do. Between this and Gitmo it's hard for them to take the bag of goods we are selling seriously and that transfers into more hard work for our soldiers and inevitably corrupts their goal of a successful mission. They're still there even though you're having fun, and more than likely, things will now intensify. Jusy my thoughts. I'm not debating Saddams innocence nor his right to life. I feel the end result would have been the same. It would just have had more integrity.
    I see what your saying and agree to a point. Where I begin to fall off is at what point should we of interveined in the judicial process. How do we persuade the Iraqi court to grant a man human rights when he himself ignored them in everything he did. I think that might of been a harder sell.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast