Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merc Black Max! HELP

NorwegianBoater
    Hey guys really need help here!
    Im looking at a Merc Black Max 150/200 87mod for my dateline bikini and Im wondering about the engine! If you have any experience with this type of the engine or older Merc V6's please post! Very happy for any pros and cons And what could I expect of repairs and etc. in near future? To my knowledge it has a brand new powertrim engine, new carburators and just been to service!
    Thanks a lot guys

fkboatman
    treat like it was meant to be used,use good pre-mix oil,dont over rev and keep water pumping through it. its a proven motor,just use it and it will take care of the rest

NorwegianBoater
    treat like it was meant to be used,use good pre-mix oil,dont over rev and keep water pumping through it. its a proven motor,just use it and it will take care of the rest
    Thanks a lot

Havasu Carrera
    I was just wondering Do Mercs Break??
    My mom and dad had a Tower of power I-6 150 I think it ran a few thousand hours (probibly way more) From about 1976 to 1991 Then rebuilt and sold a few years later.
    My second two just got used and sold never tuned up or worked on them. They just keep going. The energizer bunny only dreams of being so long lasting.

Tom Brown
    I was just wondering Do Mercs Break??
    Affirmative.

Towndrunk
    Oh Yeah!!!!!!! But not the way most people use them.

kingsbiship
    The older V-6s tended to run hot when driven hard! There are mods to correct
    this. Change heads to the lost foam (one piece) also drill a third water passage
    to the cylinders from the exhaust cavity and verify there's water diverters to
    send cooling the long way around the cyl. I have pics. if needed! All this is from my experiences with 2.4L that ran 6300 rpm + (idle stabilizer removed)

kingsbiship
    I am new to this site but have always subscribed to '***boat' I hope I don't
    come off like a know-it-all... but do have experience to back-up my claims!

kingsbiship
    Once again... I am new here, and cannot post pictures. If I could... it would
    make it easier for you to understand the third water hole. Do you have a water
    temperature gauge... more important... a water pressure gauge? Do you change
    the impeller at all? I don't wanna scare you... but overheating is a common killer
    of outboards! At least the hi perf. Mercs. But your fishing V-6 probably never
    sees more than 5K... if that! The reeds should be checked if you're idling bad.
    At that age... they are probably in need of replacement. (just a guess) If you
    have the original steel reeds, they're prone to breakage after time. You can
    save some damage, and at the same time help all RPM (and idle) by installing
    some Boyesen fiberglass, or other brand. These do no damage if a break occurs
    I could talk forever on mods for a V-6... but that will get ya started! Good luck!

NorwegianBoater
    For all replies and intrest One thing a was wonderign about though is the compression! I know it should be even, but how high should it be? NEVERMIND found out that it should around 120-130 and not more than 15% difference between the cylinders
    Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast