Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahle pistons

Nucking futs
    Are they better, the same or ??? compared to the SRP pistons.
    Anyone ever run them, heard of any problems or anything in A negative way. Need to get pistons for my engine. Just a pump gas freindly 555 with AFR 345's about 10.2:1 deal.
    Or what do the experts think is a wise choice? JE, Ross, CP,SRP. Might have a little no2 shot added in the future as well So I need to be dialed from the get go.
    Thanks in advance.

MikeF
    Tim, While I don't have anything to say about them......I found these quotes from another well respected site. :boxed:
    Mahle pistons are as good as you can get.
    I prefer their rings also.
    I have used quite a few sets in your type application. Ring seal & life is excellent.
    I liked them so well that I submitted them to IHRA for approval for the 350/385 Crate Motor. Matched all the specs(weight, notch CC, Ring placement, ect) & beat the other stocker piston prices hands down. IHRA liked the cost effective aspect. Matches their concept of the Crate Mtr classes.
    You will spend less time with them in prep too. Every set I have used needed no pin fit.
    I have started using Mahle pistons in a lot of my engines. They are sold here as the top line of the ACL race series pistons. As Adger mentioned, the pin fit is good, I've run into problems with pin bore galling with some other brands and need to hone the pistons but the Mahles come back out fine. I also prefer the steel top ring to what is provided with a lot of others. I've used them in turbo Nissan & Subaru engines up to around 200hp/cylinder.
    Mahle are also very quick to answer questions, provide feedback and make running changes where necessary. I use either them or Wiseco's. Custom sets are fairly quick as well.
    We found Mahles to be just slightly heavier than Cosworths,
    but lasted MUCH longer.

wsuwrhr
    I have ran them in the past, they were one of three makers of VW pistons.
    I couldn't add any durabilty comments because I wouldn't shelf a VW engine in the same catagory.

Nucking futs
    Thanks for the input. I have several freinds that run them in there vw engines and wont run anything else. I just feel that VW engines isnt a fair comparision to a stroked BBC.Im still researching them out and know a few sprotsman racers use them but all in small block chevys.

fc-pilot
    Same deal here. I have not run them myself, but have heard nothing but good things from those that do. That is both small and big block Chevy.
    Paul

UBFJ #454
    Originally Mahle Pistons were made in in a suburb of San Paulo, Brazil. During the last few years the Mahle Group established two piston production plants in China--Mahle (Nanjing) Piston Co. Ltd. and Mahle Engine Components (Yingkou) Co. Ltd. Very recently the company has taken another step to enhance its market position in Asia by acquiring Chongqing Changjiang Izumi Piston Industries Co. Ltd. (CCI). This company is located in the metropolitan area Chongqing, the Western center of the Chinese automotive industry.
    Pretty good odds are that the Mahle Pistons being sold here now in the U.S. are being made in Mainland China ..... Since Mahle has just recently started its Chinese Operations I'd be concerned about their QA/QC Procedures for and quality of High Performance Parts their marketing for use in high Hp motors.

Nucking futs
    Thanx Jak, I was reading that as well and that is what cocerned me. Being I might go with no2 down the road, I will just stick to the JE piston. SRP pistons wont handle the nitrous hit for very long.
    Thanks again for the input.

wsuwrhr
    Thanks for the input. I have several freinds that run them in there vw engines and wont run anything else. I just feel that VW engines isnt a fair comparision to a stroked BBC.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly

UBFJ #454
    Depending on how much nitrous your going to be using, you might want to check out Vertical Gas Relieved Nitrous CP Pistons (Rings are positioned slightly further down to be away from the higher temps resulting from n2o injection). Here's a Link to CP Pistons:
    http://www.cppistons.com/products/automotive_marine/

You have to be a genius to figure out those Mahles dont even bother, just sell everything and take up bowling or billiards instead of boating.
    Please ignore this post, Im just really bored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast