Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Jeeps

BowTie Rick
    I have a bike but lately I have been thinking of dumping it for a side by side. That would allow the wife and baby to tag along with me and the older daughter vs. hanging out at the trailer. Also, I am not getting any younger and it seems I hurt a lot worse when I fall these days. Anyway, I found a 1942 Willy's Jeep. It runs, but needs a full on restoration. One thing that caught my attention were bullet holes in the side; I was told it was actually in WW2. So my question is, would this be worth restoring vs. buying a turn key side by side? Yes, money matters. What do you all think?

riverbound
    To restore an old jeep and try to make it as capable as a side by side will cost you WAY more money than buying a side by side, throwing in a cage and back seat.
    I would say from a financial point and a reliablility point the side by side is the way to go.

djunkie
    I have a bike but lately I have been thinking of dumping it for a side by side. That would allow the wife and baby to tag along with me and the older daughter vs. hanging out at the trailer. Also, I am not getting any younger and it seems I hurt a lot worse when I fall these days. Anyway, I found a 1942 Willy's Jeep. It runs, but needs a full on restoration. One thing that caught my attention were bullet holes in the side; I was told it was actually in WW2. So my question is, would this be worth restoring vs. buying a turn key side by side? Yes, money matters. What do you all think?
    What do you want to do with it? A friend of mine and his dad both have old Willy's. Ones a '42 and 1 is a '46. Both of them have over $15-$20k into them. Granted they are bad ass. The great thing about a Jeep is you can drive it on the street and use it as a second vehicle. The bad thing is all the costs that go with it are more than double of a Rhino.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Do you plan on restoring the Jeep to its 1942 condition, or making it a family vehicle? How much is the asking price? A back seat and roll bars don't cost that much, but suspension and upgraded motor from that flat 4 might. How much is a stock rhino and were you planning on upgrading that as well?
    PM Sportin' Wood if you want a semi-accurate amount of what you would be into the Jeep for.

BowTie Rick
    Price is FREE. It's in Utah, I just need to pick it up. I would not be turning it into something crazy, just something to tool around in and not get stuck. We had a Willy's when I was a kid. It was bone stock and went anywhere and everywhere. I do think a side by side would be cheaper but doing a restoration is sort of fun.

2Driver
    Personally I would do an older, meaning 97 or newer Jeep TJ. Way more parts, way more reliable and 10 times better off roading. You should be able to get a decent machine for under the price of a Mod Rhino.

havaduner
    SPAM ALERT! I got a 69 CJ5 for sale if you're interested.

Sportin' Wood
    Always wanted a bone stock no roll bar WWII vintage willy's with a steering upgrade and thats it. Bitchen cars. I have a freind with a stocker and he cruises it around town and sometimes around camp. Turns way more heads then a SXS. I have also seen some low budget flat fenders that will blow the doors off a TJ. Depends what you want and how much you like turning wrenches. Road trip to Utah is my Vote. Some day I'm gonna build a 60's style Jeep, flatty or early cj5 65-69 on the 5, with a Dauntless 225, a T18 or SM 465. a couple 44's and a big ole 8274 on the home grown bumper. Extra points for a fresno dash, some mustang tail lights and if its a flatty some Fresno doors. Of course finding some Trutracs might be kinda hard.
    Rhino is easy, h*ll no down payment on your good credit. Plenty of good in both of them. What do them SXS cost nowadays anyway? I'd have the jeep kicking a$$ for $5-8 grand, it would be ugly but go anywhere.

Ultrafied
    If you aren't going to drive it much on the street and just want to play in desert hills etc. look at a used TJ or even a YJ. Slight cost for going through it mechanically, lifting and some new tires and that's it. Way cheaper then a new Ranger or Rhino if you find a good deal on the jeep itself. Family would luv it!

marty722
    you were side x side or something else. I ended up with a nice 1986 Suzuki Samurai thats already lifted with 31inch tires full rollbar and ready to roll on dirt or street for one third of the price of a Rhino. Now the family can go now... Plus I like the fact I have something to take on the road in case a hospitial trip is needed......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast