Thread: Testing MSD magnitic pickup

squirt
    Was looking thru my MSD tester pn 8998 and it appears theres no way to test the dist with that tester. Is there a way to check the pickup with an ohm meter while spinning the dist???
    Thanks, Don

Just measure the resistance of the pickup coil. You don't need to spin the distributor for this. MSD spec is 400-1300 ohms. If it tests good, test the rest of the system's ability to produce a spark with the instructions here (http://www.msdignition.com/1troub1.htm#anchor317544).

squirt
    Bingo........Thanks Craig it's a bad pickup

Was resistance too high, too low or just open? If "open", check for a break in the wires right at the connector before replacing the pickup.

MikeF
    Although I do not know if there is an adjustment......the distance between the pickup and the reluctor "has" to be at a certain specification. If it is too far away or too close and you're asking for problems.
    If you hookup the leads of the ohmmeter and put in a low voltage A/C setting.....and turn the distibutor, you should get a change on the readout.....showing that there is a signal being produced by the pickup/reluctor.

squirt
    open......I'll check for breaks. THis was the dist that was alll rusted up at CFW. I ended up turning it upside down and soaking it in WD40 for a day to free up the weights and remove the rust. Thought I might have effed up the pickup doing this.
    Don

Bajajet
    Lost mine last year. If I recall correctly the resistance was too high. I moved the pickup coil closer to the reluctor and it would work. If you don't want to get it from MSD go get a pickup coil from the parts store - same as Ford dizzy.
    http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96684

squirt
    Although I do not know if there is an adjustment......the distance between the pickup and the reluctor "has" to be at a certain specification. If it is too far away or too close and you're asking for problems.
    If you hookup the leads of the ohmmeter and put in a low voltage A/C setting.....and turn the distibutor, you should get a change on the readout.....showing that there is a signal being produced by the pickup/reluctor.
    Intresting I give that a shot tonight after I find the open....if I can

Intresting I give that a shot tonight after I find the open....if I can
    That is a good test Mike suggests. Usually the next step for me after I confirm a good pickup coil resistance.