Thread: Old Gas

socalmofo
    I have had my boat in the garage since late October with 1/2 tank of gas.
    When I go out in February should I add an ocane booster or just add some fresh gas or ??
    Engine is a 496 mag with about 20 hours.........

GofastRacer
    Should have put some "Sta-Bil" in when you parked it. Octane booster won't do anything for bad gas, "PRI-G" will bring gas back to life, I've used it before with success, it won't bring the color or odor back though!..

centerhill condor
    I don't think you'll have any problems! that gas really isn't all that old. burn it the old fashioned way at about 60 mph with the trim up!

twowheeledfish
    Hit that baby with Sta-bil now, and before the gas gets any worse. Top the tanks off with good quality 90+ octane before you head out in February. My biggest concern at present would be the fuel still in the carb... might want to drain it.
    I have had my boat in the garage since late October with 1/2 tank of gas.
    When I go out in February should I add an ocane booster or just add some fresh gas or ??
    Engine is a 496 mag with about 20 hours.........

ghittner
    I store my boat every year for 5-6 months in Ca. with the worst 91 octane gas in the nation and have never had a problem for 10 years now. Don't worry so much about it. Start it and it will be fine.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I would Sta-Bil it, then fill it on the way out and it'll be fine. Yea, drain the carb maybe, but it probably is dry already (evaporation).
    Put some good carb cleaner in it before you run it to help get any stuff out of the carb from the fuel evaporation. It leaves some crap behind.

socalmofo
    Just so you guys know, Draining a Carb is WAYYYY past my mechanical abilities. I think I will use that sta-bil and give her a run.....

shadow
    Just so you guys know, Draining a Carb is WAYYYY past my mechanical abilities. I think I will use that sta-bil and give her a run.....
    Well then it's your lucky day cause if it's 496mag or HO it's fuel injected and
    has no Carb.
    Add some stable to it fill it up and run it.

Get yourself a hard rubber tappet adjuster and at the beginning of the season
    smack the carbs around a little. Never know ..the needle might just drop out of the seat. Oh and keep the tanks full. Has worked for the last 10yrs.,