Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any known problems with '04 Chevy/GMC 2500HD front ends?

Havasu Cig
    We have an 04 2500 HD diesel CC. The only problems we have had have been wheel bearings (one went out at about 25k the other at about 40k) and pitmin / idler arm. GM has done all the replacement under factory and extended warranty. We are actually replacing the pitman and idler arm today with some after market stuff that is supposed to be stronger at my shop and we will see if GM will cover it. So far the truck has been very good though and I just installed a Fabtech 6" lift and hypertech tuner. Drives very nice after the lift.

life's a river
    Are there any early signs of the bearings going out? I have an 03 2500 with 41000 miles and I was wondering if I should have it looked at before the 1st river trip.
    I had a 88 1500 with over 190,000 and never had any problems with bearings. Why now with a more expensive truck. I think they build them like this so you have to spend the extra $'s in the service dept.
    LAR

BRSTQUEST
    I have an "05 with a CST 6 inch lift and it sounds like the front end is going to fall off!!!!! I have had it in twice for retorques but it is very bad now!!!! It only has 8800 miles on it and it rattles more than anything I have ever heard...taking it to dieseldogs shop this sat, I hope he can help fix this problem

LUVNLIFE
    My 05 2500HD had the intermedite steer shaft clunk, took to the dealership on 1-9-06, they did not have the part in stock. They ordered it, it was in within 5 days, took it back on the 23rd of Jan. Fixed, noise clunck now gone.
    That is the part I needed also.

Havasu Cig
    Are there any early signs of the bearings going out? I have an 03 2500 with 41000 miles and I was wondering if I should have it looked at before the 1st river trip.
    I had a 88 1500 with over 190,000 and never had any problems with bearings. Why now with a more expensive truck. I think they build them like this so you have to spend the extra $'s in the service dept.
    LAR
    The bearings will start making noise similar to a brake problem but it will be constant.

Havasu Cig
    I have an "05 with a CST 6 inch lift and it sounds like the front end is going to fall off!!!!! I have had it in twice for retorques but it is very bad now!!!! It only has 8800 miles on it and it rattles more than anything I have ever heard...taking it to dieseldogs shop this sat, I hope he can help fix this problem
    That does not sound good. The Fabtech kit seems to work very nice. Good luck.

wedge44
    LAR
    CAN you say IFS from Chevy/GMC

Biglue
    My 06 HD 2WD has a small rattle in front driver side. Gonna drop it off and get it looked at because it sounds like something is loose when I drive over some bad road areas. Better nip it in the bud.

Bobbo541
    I just had my itermediate steering shaft changed on my 04 GMC 1500. It had the clunking noise thru the steering wheel. The service manager says its a common prob but it wont come apart.

BRSTQUEST
    Well I finally got the front end rattle fixed this weekend. Clyde at West Coast Diesel took care of me. It was one damn bolt that was about 3 or 4 turns out that was causing the problem... The jackass installer could not find what was causing the problem, (two trips to the shop) and Clyde found it in 30 minutes or so....it rides like a million bucks now...i guess i don't have to sell it and go back to ford.....well at least until something breaks or I get bored......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast