Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiki / Hawaiian Connection?

El Prosecutor
    Purchased my first boat a few months ago, not knowing what to look for etc. Boat was advertised as "1975 19' Hawaiian w/455 Olds & Berkeley Jet (12JC)". Turns out the hull ID code starts out with "TIK" which, according to the Coast Guard database is a now defunct manufaturer from Florida that went out of business in the '80s.
    Anybody know of a connection between the manufacturers "Tiki" and "Hawaiian", other than the common South Pacific reference in the names??
    BTW - the title of the boat also says "Hawaiian", not Tiki.
    Weird.

The MIC codes (TIK in your case) do get recycled by the USCG. Note that the business in Florida used that MIC from 85 to 88. Sometimes the "comments" area in the MIC listing will give a further history of the particular MIC. Not of any help in your case.
    I bet Old Rigger will have an answer about the history of your Hawaiian.

MikeF
    Didn't *LS7* have one of those Tiki's?! It was pretty fast for such a heavy boat.

WUTWZAT
    Purchased my first boat a few months ago, not knowing what to look for etc. Boat was advertised as "1975 19' Hawaiian w/455 Olds & Berkeley Jet (12JC)". Turns out the hull ID code starts out with "TIK" which, according to the Coast Guard database is a now defunct manufaturer from Florida that went out of business in the '80s.
    Anybody know of a connection between the manufacturers "Tiki" and "Hawaiian", other than the common South Pacific reference in the names??
    BTW - the title of the boat also says "Hawaiian", not Tiki.
    Weird.
    Got any pics of it, I have a 79 19' Hawaiian. I don't know where to find my HIN except on the registration. None found on the usual places on the back of the boat. Maybe I oughta shine a light through and see if I can find one thats been covered up.
    Jason

when we all left Tahiti with dick schuster to start another boat shop, it was called 'tiki boats'. Even the little emblem had the old tahiti tiki head on it. there was a lawsuit, and a name change followed. Hawaiian was the result. I can't remember right now how any boats we built under the tiki name, I tried to figure it out once here on the boards a few years ago, but can't remember the total. off the top of my head i'd say we did about 40 to 60 boats. this would have been in '74... i think (my memory get worse with each passing minute. :cry: )
    I wish I had one of those emblems today. lol
    Have no idea who was using the name in Fl.

Tittie Chaser
    Dat rigga knows his sheeeeeeeeeet.

*BN*
    Didn't *LS7* have one of those Tiki's?! It was pretty fast for such a heavy boat.
    Yes, mine was a Tiki that went out of Tahiti just before Schuster left. Year 1975.

El Prosecutor
    Yes, mine was a Tiki that went out of Tahiti just before Schuster left. Year 1975.
    BN/LS7 - I would love to see a pic if you have one! My camera is jacked right now :cry: , but you can see a little bit of what my boat looks like on my avatar. If I can get the camera working I will post a better hull shot.
    Thanks also to Old Rigger and all else who have posted.

*BN*
    You appears to be a mini-day cruiser as mine is low profile. Here is the pic though.
    http://www.ntrplus.com/bn/sale/P1010085-1.jpg

Moneypitt
    My son has a "J J Custom" that is a twin to that boat except he has a Jacuzzi pump, and we put a Mopar in it. Both look an awful lot like a Challenger. The JJ deal was also by 2 brothers out of Florida according to the Coast Card Reg site..........MP
    PS I just noticed that the pump looks like a Jacuzzi, and the seats are the same design, exactly.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast