Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info. and history of AQUACRAFT

WVspeedfreak
    Hi guys, I did some searches of past posts, and turned up verry little info on aquacraft. I recently purchased the one shown in my avatar, and was just curious as to their history, different models, famous race boats, their plus's and weaknesses. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Mine is a 78 long deck I was told by the previous owner, and started life as an SK boat. I have no clue as to previous race history its name, or who piloted it. It now features a 468 with an 861(12 psi), dual 1050 dominators , casale 10 deg. with 25's, menkens 11.5 by 15. 95mph at 5700. 107mph with 15 psi and 15 percent gears.
    Mike

charitycase
    I also have one.Ask RCL,he has alot of info.

Rattle Can Lou
    Mike, I used to know everything there was to know about Aqua Craft but age has taken its toll. Skip Volk was a young ski racer in the early sixties and he became an accomplished boat bulider and endurance boat racer. He, along with legendary boat builder, Fred Wickens built some of the best circle and enduro boats of the 60's and early 70's. Unfortunatly Skip also found he enjoyed aerobatic stunt flying. He tutored under Art Scholl, who was arguably the best stunt pilot around. They were doing a show together on May 10, 1972 and Skip lost his life in a plane crash. To this day the Chipmunk he was flying that day is the most requested stunt plane model made. I must tell you that I don't think that your boat is a 1978. I don't think many werre built after Skip was killed. He didnt have any kids to take over and he was only 42 when he was killed. Fred Wickens was a wood boat builder that started in the late 40's and built boats up to the 80's. He passed away in Washington in about 1996 and was about 92 years old? He built a plug for a circle boat in about 1965 and called it the Wickens Whirlwind. The mold was a collaboration with Skip and they produced the boat in the Aqua Craft plant in West Covina, CA. This is the boat that Charity Case has with the longdeck version on it. The boat in my avator is a 1966 Wickens with a walnut deck by Harlin Orrin. I will post a pic of my Dad's 1968 18' Aqua Craft. This is the same hull as your boat. They also made a 17' Aqua Craft that was one of the first SS boats. It was a pleasure to watch that boat pivot on single pin turn. I can remember that like it was yesterday. These hulls were not drag boats. Skip and Fred were into circle racing, but mainly the enduro races where they ran these things for 9 hours. I think that is why everybody is telling you to be careful with it, Your boat has a ton of HP for what the hull is. Unfortunately when Skip died so did a lot of the legacy of his boats. If you google Skip Volk there are some cool articles about him and his flying days.If you have any other questions regarding the boats please ask.
    This is my Dad's boat,
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g?t=1169851074

Kurtis500
    Rattle Can Lou, Do you have any info on this Aqua Craft? I posted it a while back and I am looking for the boat. The boat with the wood deck is the way it came from Aqua craft and the deck with the splash guard was later added aftetr the wood deck was cut off.
    thanks
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127609

Rattle Can Lou
    K 500, I do not have any recollection of that boat. I moved to Idaho in 76 from the bay area of Ca. I was done being involved with racing at that point. Honestly I lost a whole generation of boat racers. My memories are of Rudy, Mike Reagan. Tim Wallace, Lou Brummett, Stan Drake, Grich, Gordy, LolOlol, Ernie Rose, Patterson hull named Shockwave....I wish I could help you. I know what it's like to want to find something. Like in my case...my identity.

Kindsvater Flat
    RCL.. A friend of mine has a 17' aquacraft. I will try and dig up some pics or run over to his house and snap some. Very fun boat and turns really well.

Rattle Can Lou
    I have looked and looked for a nice one to get a hold of. No luck so far. They were a turning sumbitch. I had a guy send me photos of what he thought was one of Skips first race boats. It was a 1963 17 footer. It was all set up as a circle burner / ski racer. He has had it for many years and in fact when he bought it it was powered by a Holman and Moody 406 Ford. He had since blew that up and it had a potent 390 in it. (Didnt know you could build a potent 390). Anyway, It was a cool boat and had a lot of cool things about it. I have since lost the pictures. K flat..theres a real good chance, considering where you live, that maybe my Dad rigged the boat of your buddies...pictures would be coooooool.

Fred Wickens, shortly before his death at 91 years old and still building models for future full scale projects.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...redwickens.jpg

WVspeedfreak
    Thanks RCL. You have a beautiful boat, the wood deck is awesome. I also love the seating arrangement, and thru hull exhaust on your fathers boat. I have grown up on the Ohio river here in WV, and have been around, and owned many boats, mostly junkers that I have fixed up . None of them had the look, the speed, or the history of a classic v-drive. I measured my boat it is 17' 10" from stem to stern I would really love to know the exact year of my boat. Is there any place where there may be a hull ident. # stamped on it?? I also would like to do away with the fuel cells behind each seat and put stainlees tanks under each gunwale on the sides, to open up the interior a little bit. Would a deadmans tether kill switch be a good idea?? I also would like to add a whirlaway. Is there a kit I can order to install the whirlawy? If so, where from. I know I can't put it into gear while it is running, but can I go from drive to neutral while it is running without hurting the gearcase?? I guess thats enough questions for now..... I'll have plenty more later. Thanks, ahead of time.
    Mike

DaveA
    Hey WVSpeedfreak,
    Here's a big ole thread from a few years ago about Skip Volk and Aquacraft boats that you may or may not have read.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14249
    Hello from way down I-77.
    DaveA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast