Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speed coat

BLOWN JOB
    how big is the differance

IMPATIENT 1
    i couldn't tell much if any.

My guess is not many (if any) could tell you.
    Reason being that most times guys use it following up bottom work. Folks will tell you there's less water adhesion (more slippery surface) thus more speed. Although that being the case, those guys have just completely changed the bottom of their boat not just sprayed on some speed coat.
    That was the case with mine anyway. I used it because I didn't want to re-gelcoat after the bottom work. It's easy to apply and inexpensive. All the while figuring well hell if it adds a little speed...............all the better
    Hopefully someone went to the trouble of just spraying it with speed coat without doing any bottom work and you can get some numbers. My guess would be that gains would be little to none using just speed coat. I've been wrong plenty of times before though.

I like the reflective grey finish, especially after you buff it with a clean terrycloth towel, gives it a kind of stealth look too!

Ken F
    Yea when someone notices it you can tell them it's a top-secret speed coating!

I can tell a difference when running with a freshly wax bottom verses a river dirty bottom. I have not speed coated yet, but plan to for that very reason, but will refinishing the hull before speed coating.

Moneypitt
    Beware! After speed coating the boat WILL slide around on the trailer bunks.........Tie downs that have worked for years may not stop it, so double check tension points...........Ask me how I found this out!!!........MP

Beware! After speed coating the boat WILL slide around on the trailer bunks.........Tie downs that have worked for years may not stop it, so double check tension points...........Ask me how I found this out!!!........MP
    Maybe , but it's never happed to me .
    -beerjet-

There's another speed coat thread in the fiberglass forum.

MudPumper
    If it don't make yo go fast.....At least it LOOKS fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast