Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto transmission shifting issues

reddragon
    Hi fellow boaters, i've got a 21' daycruiser with an Olds 455, TH400 tranny and a casale v-drive. I bought the boat without a test drive (ya I know not the smartest thing to do). For some reason the tranny shifts automatically, just like a tranny in a car. That is, when it comes up on plane or when I slow down for a 5 mph zone, the tranny shifts down from third to second. I'd like to adjust the tranny so it stays in the gear that the shifter is in. Kind of hard to use it as a ski boat if it is shifting unexpectedly and I can't keep the speed constant for the skiier. I talked to a tranny shop and the guy suggested I adjust the vaccuum modulator but I don't know if that is the right thing to do - he didn't seem to know much about boats so I am reluctant to rely on his advice. Thanks in advance.

Daytona100
    Sounds like you need a manual valve body. A shiftkit from B&M should do the trick. Should only shift when you move the shifter. Get a Transpack kit.

SERIOUS ISSUES
    Shift kit will help you. You should also be able to select 1st 2nd 3rd on the shifter. If you have it in second it should not go to 3rd. If you are in the Phoenix erea and need help or just need tech info, call Niki at Motra Transmissions 602-943-3820.

VDRIVERACING
    Hi fellow boaters, i've got a 21' daycruiser with an Olds 455, TH400 tranny and a casale v-drive. I bought the boat without a test drive (ya I know not the smartest thing to do). For some reason the tranny shifts automatically, just like a tranny in a car. That is, when it comes up on plane or when I slow down for a 5 mph zone, the tranny shifts down from third to second. I'd like to adjust the tranny so it stays in the gear that the shifter is in. Kind of hard to use it as a ski boat if it is shifting unexpectedly and I can't keep the speed constant for the skiier. I talked to a tranny shop and the guy suggested I adjust the vaccuum modulator but I don't know if that is the right thing to do - he didn't seem to know much about boats so I am reluctant to rely on his advice. Thanks in advance.
    There's kits out there that will let you do it either way.. Transgo?

Schiada Time
    Had Art Carr set my T-400 up with a manual valve body and a reverse pattern. Works great.

GofastRacer
    There's kits out there that will let you do it either way.. Transgo?
    I use Transgo on any tranny I build whether it's street or race, never had a problem with them!..

acton1ta
    Has anyone heard of running a torque converter in a 2/3 speed trans boat?
    Would it help get rpm up faster?

sintax
    Has anyone heard of running a torque converter in a 2/3 speed trans boat?
    Would it help get rpm up faster?
    My 21' cruiser was setup with a Art Carr TH400 w/ a torque converter when I got it. I ended up making a deal with the seller as he wanted the transmission for some off-road race truck he was building, and I wanted to put a new trans in it.
    So he knocked off 2k and I bought a new TH400 w/ reverse manual valve body from Rex. I'm also running a drive coupler instead of a torque converter.
    As far as running the torque converter, i never did, but he said it was more sluggish after he put the converter in. Dont know exactly what that means.

RCRonas
    My 21' cruiser was setup with a Art Carr TH400 w/ a torque converter when I got it. I ended up making a deal with the seller as he wanted the transmission for some off-road race truck he was building, and I wanted to put a new trans in it.
    So he knocked off 2k and I bought a new TH400 w/ reverse manual valve body from Rex. I'm also running a drive coupler instead of a torque converter.
    As far as running the torque converter, i never did, but he said it was more sluggish after he put the converter in. Dont know exactly what that means.
    I would assume that with the converter, you have 2 points of slippage, converter and prop, with a drive hub instead of converter you would only have 1, prop. Hence the reason for a more sluggish feel with a converter.
    RCR

Schiada Time
    You definitely want a reverse shift pattern!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast