Thread: Ignition

Ratacole
    How much boost will a MSD 6A handle? Also what will the motor act like if I am blowing out my spark? Thanks, Mike

I've run 14 lbs successfully with my turbo motor without issues. I suspect flow would be a factor too. Efficient turbo systems will flow better at lower boost pressure and higher power output than non-efficient systems. (Boost pressure # alone can be misleading).
    You are probably referring to a blower though anyway is my guess. I haven't run an MSD on a blower motor so can't comment on that.

Infomaniac
    The MSD should work with any amount of boost that can be run on pump gas.
    You can decrease your plug gap if you suspect weak ignition.

I have no trouble with a 6A and about 14lbs of boost.

ttmott
    I'm running a 6BTM (basically the same with more whistles and bells) with my twin turbo motor at over one bar and zero problems. The coil is, however, the area to look into. Make sure you have a good coil like a Blaster and a tight distributor.

wfodude
    I ran my Crane Hi-6 (which is about the same as a MSD-6AL)at 21 LBS. boost on alky and Never had a problem. I ran the plug gaps at .032 and it never missed a beat at 8200 rpm. Everyone said I had to run a Mag but the motor never listened to them wink

Ratacole
    wfodude:
    I ran my Crane Hi-6 (which is about the same as a MSD-6AL)at 21 LBS. boost on alky and Never had a problem. I ran the plug gaps at .032 and it never missed a beat at 8200 rpm. Everyone said I had to run a Mag but the motor never listened to them wink Funny you should mention Crane. Alot more than one person has said to run the Hi-6 with a Crain 92 coil. Everyone has told me that there is a better & stronger spark from Crane. Not to mention being a digital unit. I just feal that my MSD is not what it used to be. Can thoes things weaken or do they eather work or they don't.
    Mike

wfodude
    Not sure...Mine has had the dog ran out of it and it will still knock you on your ass if you get close to it. I also run the ps-92 coil as you mentioned.