Thread: Adnormal V-drive noise? (Link to video inside)

Flat Happy
    Here's where the video and pics of a 74 Sanger Flatbottom are located My briefcase . Can someone tell me if there is too much noise from the V-drive? It seems pretty noisy to me, but I haven't heard a lot of V-drive idling on a trailer. Video in Image Center
    I went to look at this boat yesterday for a friend who is interesting in buying it. It has a roller 468 LS7 with 13:1 compression, Arias pistons, Engle cam, Casale v-drive (guy didn't know if it was 10 or 12 degree or what % overdriven. Motor runs 115 octane only.
    The picture of the pedals seems to show it's a direct-drive v-drive?? Is that correct? I forgot to ask. The guy wanted $8,000.
    Thanks for any help on the noise diagnosis and if it's a direct drive v-drive
    EDIT: Damn I can't share the video file unless you have a Yahoo account?
    [ July 28, 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Flat Happy ]

superdave013
    I didn't hear the video but it's a nice looking sanger.
    Don't sweet the v drive. They are nosiy. And if anything is really wrong with it you can still get all the parts.

Lookin for Liquid
    A true 13 to 1 motor should have a fairly large camshaft so the noise that you are probably hearing is the gear lash in the Drive making noise due to the engine not having a smooth rotational idle. It is wanting to rotate and then due to the compression and exhaust reversion it wants to slow down every quarter of a revolution and then after ignition it accelerates. Bottom line is what Dave said "Don't sweet it" especially on a trailer with no load to the Drive.

burbanite
    All good advice, now for mine....
    lower the fenders on that trailer.

Flat Happy
    Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't been around V-drives much, expect for my cousin's 72 Sanger flatbottom. I'm starting to know what to look for as far as trouble areas though.
    Anyway, I advised my friend it would be not be a good boat for him. He wanted turn-key and this really isn't. With 13:1 comp, a piston change would be necessary to run pump gas, and the paint near the gas fills is faded (he wants nice paint). Other than that the boat was very nice. Rigging, 'glass, and interior were great. Guy said it turned 8000 rpm eek! . I'd buy it, but I don't have that kind of money right now .
    I'm still wondering about whether it's direct drive or In-Out on the v-drive? Any ideas?

Itsahobby
    On a v-drive, without a transmission, your are
    either in gear or out. There should be a lever
    on the drive that you position.
    Typically, you start her up in neutral, once
    she's warm, shut it down, put it in gear and start
    it up, in gear.
    Hope that answers you question.
    Itsahobby
    Flat Happy:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't been around V-drives much, expect for my cousin's 72 Sanger flatbottom. I'm starting to know what to look for as far as trouble areas though.
    Anyway, I advised my friend it would be not be a good boat for him. He wanted turn-key and this really isn't. With 13:1 comp, a piston change would be necessary to run pump gas, and the paint near the gas fills is faded (he wants nice paint). Other than that the boat was very nice. Rigging, 'glass, and interior were great. Guy said it turned 8000 rpm eek! . I'd buy it, but I don't have that kind of money right now .
    I'm still wondering about whether it's direct drive or In-Out on the v-drive? Any ideas?