Thread: Good Info for BBF owners and Desktop Dyno users

cfm
    #1 - if you have a motor like this, this will give you good info on what intake manifold to use.
    #2 - I harp on Desktop Dyno because of vague choices like 'Dual Plane Intake' and 'Single Plane Intake' that are given.
    Well, here is a dyno thrashing on many, many intake manifolds on a mild BBF. Please remember, that if this engine was in a different configuration (ie: more compression, better heads, more camshaft, stc,etc) the manifold tests may prove different - so only use this info for this type of motor unless there is some major inherent issue with one or some of them.
    Here you go:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...ge/1166494693/
    BTW: This is what makes the internet cool. People , like this gentleman, going thru all this trouble and actually posting all his info. Major kudos to him !

To clarify, the great intake comparo is for FE motors, not 385's.

LakesOnly
    Just sold this factory intake on ebay:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...57FE2x4Top.jpg
    I would have been interested to have seen it in the comparo; good info, though, for FE owners!
    Paul

kojac
    Interesting comparison with the intake manifolds. One thing struck me when the gentleman said the new polished valve covers cost him 30 hp. I know he was being facetious but it brought to mind a 468 chevy 10.1 compression I was trying to get more power out on a 19ft merlin daycruiser. The motor was pulling 5400 rpm's with an "A" Berkley impellar and I notice oil being pushed out of the breathers on the valve covers under full load. (same style as in the picture)To relieve the crankcase pressure I added a front breather on each of the valve covers. The rpm's increased to 5500 rpm's about 25hp on the berkley impellar chart.
    He indicated that the old valve covers were blowing oil. I wonder if the new valve covers sealed better but didn't allow proper venting and cost hp? Don't really know but it would be an interesting test for him to go back and put additional vents on the valve covers or try them with the old ones . We all know the benefits of a vacuum pump.
    Dale