Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Alpine Head Unit & iPod

dimarcobros
    We have a alpine head unit with the adaptor to plug in our iPod. When we plug in the iPod we can only navigate on the head unit, the iPod screen is blank. (if I remember correctly) I am sure there is a way to switch it so that we can change songs on the iPod, we just can't figure out how.
    Little help.
    DMB

FUTURE
    I just got an Alpine for my truck. When you plug the Ipod in you can only navigate through the head unit as well. I'm not sure if you can switch it.

FUTURE
    We have a alpine head unit with the adaptor to plug in our iPod. When we plug in the iPod we can only navigate on the head unit, the iPod screen is blank. (if I remember correctly) I am sure there is a way to switch it so that we can change songs on the iPod, we just can't figure out how.
    Little help.
    DMB
    Which model did you buy? The units that are disigned to go through the head unit I don't think you navigate through the Ipod. There are cheaper models that you plug into the actual face of the head unit & you can navigate through Ipod on those but the Ipod does not charge.

dimarcobros
    I am pretty sure it was the Alpine 9857

OutCole'd
    That's how it is on my Sony also, no controlling through the IPOD.

phebus
    Yes, with the 9857, you can only navigate through the head unit, but what is wrong with that? Why not just use the head unit?

STV_Keith
    Just bought an Alpine CDA-9857 myself...and looking into the Ipod (and all it's optional crap) now. So with the fullspeed cable, does the Ipod charge when connected to the headunit?

phebus
    Yes, the iPod charges when hooked up to a Alpine 9857.

NOTALENT
    The Alpines interface cable allows you to only navigate through the Head unit. It will also charge the Ipod. You can not navigate through the Ipod. If you want to accomplish this you can buy the cable that has 2 rcas (white & red) and the other end plugs into the headphone jack of the IPOD it will allow you to do navigate and play at least I think so...I use that cable on all my home stereos, just PC speakers etc...and it works... I havent tried it on the truck stereo, but dont see why it wouldnt work, if it does it wont charge.

h2oski2fast
    There is no need to navigate through the Ipod. All the playlist and artists (and other options, I just can't ramember can be navigated through the head unit. Once the drive has been mounted by the headunit, and a playlist or artist has been picked you can scroll through the playlists/artists with the disc +/- buttons. It's actually much easier once you learn how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast