Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder coat vs chrome????

mickeyfinn
    I am putting back together a 72 Hondo that I have let sit for about 5 years. The drive shaft tube is in pretty bad shape(chrome flaking off) I am thinking of going with a powder coat on the tube and doing the color thing on a lot of the hardware. Is this a good idea? Does the powder coating hang tuff? This is going to be a lake boat on the east coast with a lot of tubing and skiing time so it gets more use than a lot of the boats people around here have. Also does anyone know anyone in the southeast (I'm in Atlanta) that does work on V-drives? I have never had mine apart and would like to have someone who knows more than I do go through it with me and check the bearings and gears etc. Wish there were more people out this way into V-drives.....AND YES AROUND HERE ALL JETS SUCK!!

Beautiful Noise
    mickeyfinn
    AND YES AROUND HERE ALL JETS SUCK!! [/QB]Well Put....LOL
    Personally I don't have anything Powder Coated I like the look of Chrome but that's my .02 worth,As for your V-Drive you can always check with Tom at Menken's,see Ad at the Top of this Page for his Number he might know of somebody in your area or you could ship it out to him
    Steve

Mickeyfinn, I like chrome a lot, but that's big bucks that I don't have. I have used Powder coating for the last 12 years and I think it's great. You should be able to do all your hardware, including your v drive for $500.00. It's like anything else, you have to take care of it. I have sanded it down and buffed it out before, just like the paint on your boat. It holds up to the sun good too.

[img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119Hot_Nutted_2.jpg[/img] If you can get some that knows what's going on, you can get them to polish & powder coat at the same time, like the v drive here. This job cost me $750.00 for everything. A lot cheaper than chrome!!

GofastRacer
    Powdercoating is really cool and really takes a beating and easier to maintain than chrome. The only thing you have to worry about is that you don't have any sharp edges, it will not adhere so you have to make sure you round off all sharp edges, a burr knife is all it takes to do it!..

Snowboat
    If your driveshaft tube is the style with the slip over piece, that clamps down, don't powder coat. A couple of times taking the tube on and off and its scratched badly.

Snowboat, this is a very good point. I made that mistake with the last boat.

GofastRacer
    Yep very true, that means it's time for a one piece tube!..

BILLY.B
    I have actually seen a chrome drive shaft tube reflect the sun light on to the upholstery and light it on fire eek! . Nobody said that I was smart, I chromed mine anyway, but it is something I thought you should know!!!

mickeyfinn, I'm doing something new to me called Ceramakrome, on a tunnel ram. It's a metallic ceramic coating that polishes to a chrome like finish. It will withstand base heat up to 1300f, and 1600f exhaust temperatunes! You can get this done at Cap's in Fresno Ca. www.capsbhc.com , $195.00 for a tunnel ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast