Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a Blue Ray DVD player?

beaverretriever
    We were at Best Buy the other night getting the wife a new laptop and I cruised over to the DVD section and started looking at the Blue Ray DVDs.
    Boy, they are expensive. Are they really that much better? There were DVD's that I paid 9 bucks for that were 34.95
    I have a good TV; would it be worth the price?

shockwaveharry
    It's the difference between the quality of regular tv and HDTV, right? You have to have a Blue Ray DVD player ($1000) and High Def TV to play those DVD, ya know...

Tom Brown
    I'm going to continue to enjoy red ray for a while longer but the storage density of blue ray technology is plenty impressive.

beaverretriever
    It's the difference between the quality of regular tv and HDTV, right? You have to have a Blue Ray DVD player ($1000) and High Def TV to play those DVD, ya know...
    Yeah, I was wondering if it is really worth the price. The damn DVDs are crazy expensive.
    You can get PS3s for 600 now and they are Blue Ray.

blown65
    I have both PS3 (bluray) and a HD-DVD player. I think the picture quality is better on HD-DVD even though the movie selection (well, quality wise) might lean torwards BR.
    It is quite a difference on my TV but I think really you will want to have a 1080P set to really get the most of it.
    HD-DVD are a little less money also, usually around 19-21 online. (amazon etc etc)

shockwaveharry
    Blue Ray/HD-DVD debate is like the Betamax/VHS fight of the 70's and 80's.
    Which way will it go? I won't buy until it becomes a little more clear.

Trailer Park Casanova
    We were at Best Buy the other night getting the wife a new laptop and I cruised over to the DVD section and started looking at the Blue Ray DVDs.
    Boy, they are expensive. Are they really that much better? There were DVD's that I paid 9 bucks for that were 34.95
    I have a good TV; would it be worth the price?
    Is your TV HDMI capable?
    We have the PS3 and they told us the blue ray is best with the HDMI capable TV and the special HDMI cable.
    Damfino,, that's what the pro told us.

blown65
    I agree. I got the hddvd first cause I love gadgets. lol
    PS3 really was for games and other media purposes. Just thought Id see how the movies were, I'm sticking to hddvd for now.

blown65
    Is your TV HDMI capable?
    We have the PS3 and they told us the blue ray is best with the HDMI capable TV and the special HDMI cable.
    Mine is HDMI, actually both my Tosh HDDVD and my PS3 are both hooked up via HDMI.
    monoprice.com is a good place to get cables, and not play the inflated prices at bestbuy and CC.

beaverretriever
    Is your TV HDMI capable?
    God, I don't know. I know it is a good set. It is a 50" Fujitsu Plasma. It is about 6 months old (so it is probably out of date )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast