Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floor refinishing

sc fab 1
    hey guys its another floor question!
    i am getting ready to use the duratec finishing system and i was wanting to know what is the last grit (sandpaper roughness) i should use for my final step. i don't want the sand marks to show.

Lefty
    I used 180 for the final sand and I didn't see any sand scratches. Be sure to wear a respirater that stuff is very bad on lungs. I also wear a clean room suit to protect the skin.

sc fab 1
    thanks for the info. another reason why i was wondering is because i know that you have to have your glass scuffed up good so that the new resin will adhere to it. i didn't want it to get too smooth and it just peel right off.

Sangster
    80 grit is recommended..

sc fab 1
    thanks sangster. that is what i was thinking. is the duratec much thicker than urethene clear? urethenes shirnk and show scratches. does the duratec do the same?

Lefty
    The first floor I did was sanded with 80 and it shrunk to show sand scratches I guess you could buff them out, but it seems like a lot of work. Duratec is thicker than urathane clear.

Sangster
    The trick to applying the Clear Topcoat, over fresh glass or a refinish is to establish a good base coat... then apply several light coats till it flows together to a desired finish.. hense the term "Flowcoat".. most Flats/Hydro's will take 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of Clear topcoat...It can also be thinned using Lacquer thinner.. hope this helps..... When done correctly it will look something like this.....
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...bster004-2.jpg

Lefty
    I went back and talked to my brother and I was incorrect we sanded with 120 sorry about that. You are correct on the 1/2 gallon I used a little more on this. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ium/345820.jpg

sc fab 1
    The trick to applying the Clear Topcoat, over fresh glass or a refinish is to establish a good base coat... then apply several light coats till it flows together to a desired finish.. hense the term "Flowcoat".. most Flats/Hydro's will take 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of Clear topcoat...It can also be thinned using Lacquer thinner.. hope this helps..... When done correctly it will look something like this.....
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...bster004-2.jpg
    thanks again lefty and sangster. i think that i will finish sand with 80 grit so the clear will stick good. i will let the boat sit out in the sun during the day so it shrinks and i will sand and buff it....... also when you spay the black do you scuff it at all or do just spray the clear on the fresh blk.
    thanks

sc fab 1
    oh yeah, i know this has been asked over and over, but i am asking again..... where do i get the duratech blk and clear?
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast