Thread: What kind of oil to use for the pump?

Bow Tie Omega
    I need to fill the jet pump (Panther) with oil. If I remember correctly it is 90 wt I am supposed to use.....can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks...Joe

Jetaholic
    Yes, you use 80-90 weight gear oil. Same stuff they use in differentials and manual transmissions.

Devilman
    80-90 wt. here as well.....

Bow Tie Omega
    Thanks guys!!!

75MillerJet
    how bout some more info on doing this. haven't done this on my berkeley before. also where are all the zerks that need greasing on a pump? thanx.

Blown Income
    If you Have access to a vacuum pump suck it out and fill it back up till it runs out of the hole. If not take out both plugs and squeeze in new oil till the stuff coming out is fresh.

Good advice Blown income on Berkely but on Panthers they take a very small amount of gear oil (about 3 oz) on this Jet (Panther) if you overfill the front brg reservoir it will create problems, can even cause the "timkin style bearing" to overheat " Fill the Panther till the dip stick when screwed in reads in between the marks. The oil should be clean not milky ! Do not use grease this bearing it will self distruct.
    75 miller your Berkeley bowl should have 80 90 wt filled like Blown income said (but could even have been changed to heavy grease like A/T or Aggressor) check for zerks on the bowl vs pipe plugs.The front bearing technically does not really need to be regularly greased once properly filled .Bearings like this don't "use" or "burn" grease so unless they leak or become water contaminated the run for a long time without attention(think of the front wheel bearings on you truck) These brgs however seem to get greased too often. Most bearing manufacturers say that front double row thrust brg cavity should be about 2/3rds full.Too much or overgreasing can "jack" the seal out . Overgreasing can also shorten bearing life Hope this helps just my .02 Tom

75MillerJet
    tom ur awesome, thanx