Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appeal for Redress: Traitors or Patriots?

OGShocker
    DRUDGEREPORT.COM
    Thu Feb 22 2007 15:21:11 ET
    They say they are not disloyal. They say they are not shirking their duty and that they do not oppose war. But over 1,000 active-duty and reserve members of the U.S. military are against the war in Iraq and have said so in an unusually public way -- by petitioning Congress last month. Several of them appear to explain their actions in a Lara Logan report to be broadcast on 60 MINUTES Sunday Feb. 25 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
    "I'm not anti-war. I'm not a pacifist. I'm not opposed to protecting our country and defending our principles," says Navy Petty Officer Jonathan Hutto, an Iraq war veteran who, along with another veteran, initiated the petition. A 1995 law called the Military Whistleblower act enables military personnel to express their own opinions about Iraq in protected communication directly to Congress. Hutto and others spoke with 60 MINUTES while off duty, off base and out of uniform as conscientious citizens. "But at the same time, as citizens, it's our obligation to have a questioning attitude... about policy," Hutto tells Logan.
    Marine Sgt. Liam Madden, who helped Hutto to found the organization they call Appeal for Redress that has attracted 1,000 other military members, is more blunt. "Just because we volunteered for the military doesn't mean we volunteered to put our lives in unnecessary harm and to carry out missions that are illogical and immoral."
    These GIs and others Logan spoke with expressed frustration with their efforts in Iraq and believe there is no end in sight to the war. Other Iraqi war veterans still on duty there believe Appeal for Redress misses a larger point. "As an American soldier, I feel like we took an oath to obey the orders of our commander-in-chief and officers appointed over us," says Army Spec. James Smauldon. Said another serviceman in Iraq, Army Capt. Lawrence Nunn, "I know what IÕm here fighting for, to give the Iraqi people some democracy and hope, so I am 100 percent behind this mission. You don't sign up to pick which war you go to."
    Another Appeal for Redress member counters, "Our leadership gets to choose the mission. Congress gets to choose the mission," Staff Sgt. Matt Nuckolls says. He's loyally committed to whatever Congress wants him to do but savors the right to question it. "My Congressman is Lacy Clay. I would like to tell him as a constituent of his, 'Is the mission in Iraq really what you want us to be doing?' And then [if] he responds yes, okay, well, we go back to Iraq and keep doing what we're doing."
    Developing...

Poster X
    Smokin has interviewed all the Vet's as they get off the plane and he says they love the war.

SmokinLowriderSS
    If they don't want to follow the orders of the Comander in Chief, or their other superiors, "Discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions" for every one of them.
    Find my post where I said what you alledge poser. Go for it.

Poster X
    I don't take orders. We've all seen you and old Texan pop off about all the vets you talk to that support every wild haired scheme you come up with to get more of them killed.

Old Texan
    Army Capt. Lawrence Nunn, "I know what IÕm here fighting for, to give the Iraqi people some democracy and hope, so I am 100 percent behind this mission. You don't sign up to pick which war you go to."
    Some do, Some don't.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I don't take orders.
    Yes, I can imagine how you were when you were serving with those draftees you claim to have served with.
    Which dispute was that again? Korea or Nam.

Poster X
    I have never claimed I served in Korea or Viet Nam. I joined the Navy after the draft was abolished. I saw NO action and have never said different. I also have a long list of family members who served and died in every war from the civil war to present. I never claimed to speak for them but I have represented some of their philosophies (that they've shared with me) after serving.

YeLLowBoaT
    Well they are standing up for the what they bleave is right. I can't fault some one that is willing to stand up for what they bleave regarudless of what will happen to them.
    Not saying I agree with thier statements or atctions.

Blown 472
    Well they are standing up for the what they bleave is right. I can't fault some one that is willing to stand up for what they bleave regarudless of what will happen to them.
    Not saying I agree with thier statements or atctions.
    Until they say it on here and get grilled by the war zealots.

donzi5150
    1000 out of the million plus who have rotated in and out of theatre since the first UN fiasco, meaning not finishing the job the first time, is a really small number. But of course, just like Cindy Sheahan, the left exploits a very small but vocal number to try and get their point accross. 1000 is less than 1% of the total numbers that have served and are serving in support of this opperation!:idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast