Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ford msd marine dist

tahiti cowboy
    will a ford msd 83506 dist. plug into a 6al with the right plug and can you use a box with a ready to run dist.caus this says you dont have to use one

I believe the Marine dist has different watertight plugs than the AL box and only plugs into the marine box.
    RtoR dists don't require a box, hence (ready to run)...

Bajajet
    MSD does make a conversion cable to go from the marine dizzy to the 6AL or you can make your own. the connector you need is available at GM dealers, and just cut off the distibutor end on the cable that came with the 6AL. It gets wired MSD 6AL Green to Dizzy Black/Violet and MSD6AL Violet to Dizzy Black/Orange.
    Hope that helps.

Konabud
    MSD does make a conversion cable to go from the marine dizzy to the 6AL or you can make your own. the connector you need is available at GM dealers, and just cut off the distibutor end on the cable that came with the 6AL. It gets wired MSD 6AL Green to Dizzy Black/Violet and MSD6AL Violet to Dizzy Black/Orange.
    Hope that helps.
    Hey Baha,
    I just bought the same dist. with intentions of using a 6m box someday when I can find a killer price on one. Can you tell me what the GM connector is for (part # would be great) so I can pick one up to use in the meantime? Thanks

Bajajet
    Sorry don't know the part number. I just took the distributor with me and matched it up. They were pretty proud of the connector according to the price! I think Summit has the conversion cable and it wasn't that much more. Call MSD Tech to get the part number.

Konabud
    Sorry don't know the part number. I just took the distributor with me and matched it up. They were pretty proud of the connector according to the price! I think Summit has the conversion cable and it wasn't that much more. Call MSD Tech to get the part number.
    Thanks I'll probably get MSD's if it's not much more. I guess if I bought the 6m-2 box it should come with it. :idea: Time to get working on this thing to get ready for summer!!! Ordering parts (from Rex) today!! MERRY CHRISTMAS GEAR HEADS!!!

The MSD Marine units use Weather Pack connectors, available from NAPA, The non marine MSD units use AMP connectors (Black) although White connector are the same other than color. The AMP connectors are a little harder to find, try Newark Electronics, or other online electrinics warehouses. Good luck.
    Sleek

Konabud
    Thanks Sleek I'll give them a shot (NAPA).
    Konabud

I have the weatherpack connectors (MSD) seperate if you wanted to change the AL box over to match the marine dist.

Konabud
    :idea: :idea: So correct me if I'm wrong here. If I run an RTR dist. (MSD 83506) with a 6M box and the box happens to take a dive I could still bypass the box and get home? If so could I actually make a pigtail that is connected at the engine end and let it hand loose (mabey capped) so that I could just unplug the dist from the box, plug into my pigtail and be on my way? Not that I don't trust the 6M box but it looks as though at least a couple of them have gone south (and I HATE paddeling). I don't seem to see as many distributor problems as box problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast