Thread: Glen-L V-drive

Whole Lotta Nothin'
    I have been looking at a Glen-L kit for some time now. I am looking at the Thunderbolt. It is a 17' V-Bottom. My question is, does anyone own one of these boats on the board? Or does anyone have any experience building a Glen-L boat? They seem to be pretty straight forward. I feel that this is something I could handle, but am leary about the kits quality, and completeness. Anyone with any kind of input about these boats or this company please reply. Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Here is the link to their site:
    www.glen-l.com (http://www.glen-l.com)

coolchange
    My Dad built me one of those little kneeler hydros when I was a kid. Ruined my whole life! Not an inexpensive way to get a boat, but if you have the ability and desire to build your own go for it. Remeber prolly 90% of those things never reach the water and a half built wood boat is worth 1/2 of nothin. Just my .02

FlatRacer
    My first boat was a Glen-L. Check out http://www.geocities.com/kool_toyz/yellowperil.html
    But, with so many perfectly good used flatbottoms and other v-drives out there at bargain prices, I have to ask, Why build one? They only hold up over the long haul if they're meticulously maintained, and never abused. And they're worth next to nothing on the used market. For what you'd spend on the v-drive hardware alone you could buy a resto-project on a trailer. All you need do then is some glass work and you have a boat that was worth something when it was done.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Eric

Whole Lotta Nothin'
    Didn't realize they really aren't worth much later in life.

rrrr
    Eric, that is a cool little boat. Must have been a blast to scoot around the lake in.

FlatRacer
    Thanks, rrr. Yes it was. Great boat for a kid. It taught me a lot.
    Getting back to boat prices, have you seen the Biesemeyer circle racer for sale on this forum? Asking price is $5500. Sorry, but in the light of that opportunity alone, there's no way you could justify all the labor it would take to build a flat out of plywood from a kit (sorry Glen-L). Furthermore, once the APBA has its way with the capsule rule in 2004, state of the art open cockpit circle boats that handle like a wet dream over 100 mph will be a dime a dozen.
    Any one of these boats, even with only a small block, will take all you can dish out and come back for more.
    Eric

rrrr
    Hey WLN, here's your chance to get that boat the easy way...
    With a nailhead, no less. Looks like it would be a fun ride.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1843158906
    [This message has been edited by rrrr (edited July 15, 2002).]