Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do outboards cost?

beaverretriever
    Compared to a 496ho or a 525. What does a set of 225xs or 250xs run? I was just wondering. Would a set of outboards be more expensive? How about with a new boat purchase? Are they easier to install and rig to a boat than an I/O set up, keeping the overall cost of the new boat up or down?

Tom Brown
    What do outboards cost?
    In the case of Kim Hanson, I'd say about $25K per year plus original purchase cost with 12 months of down time annually.
    In the case of Sorry Dog, it would be closer to about $400. That covers his initial purchase price plus operating expenses for the first four years.

Kim Hanson
    In the case of Kim Hanson, I'd say about $25K per year plus original purchase cost with 12 months of down time annually.
    In the case of Sorry Dog, it would be closer to about $400. That covers his initial purchase price plus operating expenses for the first four years.
    What can I say, it won't stay together It really piss's me off the thing.........( . )( . )......

Xlration Marine
    Go out and find 2 3.0 merc's and send them to Simon Motorsports in Cali. 335 hp on pump fuel and a warrenty as I recall. I think it's around 8k for the rebuild. Might just need one of his motors.

BADBLOWN572
    Compared to a 496ho or a 525. What does a set of 225xs or 250xs run? I was just wondering. Would a set of outboards be more expensive? How about with a new boat purchase? Are they easier to install and rig to a boat than an I/O set up, keeping the overall cost of the new boat up or down?
    The price of a single 300x was about the same price as a 496 h.o. They are much more expensive overall. The I/O's are much easier to rig. The price of a twin engine O.B. boat is definitely going to be more expensive than other options. You will most definitely have to run twins to get the same speed and hole shot as a BBC and that bumps the price way up. You will need mounting plates, full hydraulic steering, two props, etc... The rigging almost doubles. The only reason why I would ever buy and outboard over a BBC is to go long distances hauling ass. That is what they were designed for. As an every day play boat, BBC all the way.

Towndrunk
    The price of a single 300x was about the same price as a 496 h.o. They are much more expensive overall. The I/O's are much easier to rig. The price of a twin engine O.B. boat is definitely going to be more expensive than other options. You will most definitely have to run twins to get the same speed and hole shot as a BBC and that bumps the price way up. You will need mounting plates, full hydraulic steering, two props, etc... The rigging almost doubles. The only reason why I would ever buy and outboard over a BBC is to go long distances hauling ass. That is what they were designed for. As an every day play boat, BBC all the way.
    I have 3 obo's and 1 bbc. Guess which one is in pieces. Can you say BB?:idea:

Forkin' Crazy
    I hear ya TD. What do you expect out of a car guy?
    So you are saying that a 496HO puts out more hp to the prop then the 300X? And with the drive is cheaper? How much that that chunk of iron weigh?
    Oh and I just love standing on my head working on a car boat. :sleeping:

Forkin' Crazy
    They are much more expensive overall. The I/O's are much easier to rig. The price of a twin engine O.B. boat is definitely going to be more expensive than other options. You will most definitely have to run twins to get the same speed and hole shot as a BBC and that bumps the price way up
    No way dude!!! 600 hp (at the prop) vrs a 496 HO? LMAO!! And will have a better hole shot?
    How much HP do you loose with the drive? That is two 90 degree changes. My guess is about 14% loss. The Mercs are rated at the prop. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Tom Brown
    I think Mercruisers are rated at the prop these days too. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Kilrtoy
    OH NO, what are you buying....
    496 need oil changes every 20 hours.......to help keep them alive....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast