Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: h.t.m boats

dicudmore
    Thanks BC, how have you been? Did you get that B-max on your rig yet?
    I'm curious why so many people beat up the HTM's? No one considers them as a leader in the industry or compares them to the big names but there are always some that really dislike them. There are very few 30's out there that I have seen but I know there are quite a few 24's. Being a small company that has very limited production it sure seems like there are a lot of negative opinion's. I know about the unfortunate event that happened on Castaic but I hope we can leave that alone in this thread. Did the 24's that have rolled start all the criticism or was it something else? It seems Bad Blown is always referred by other board members to be the first to chime in when someone asks about HTM, why is that? What was your bad experience Bad Blown? I would like to have a Howard, DCB or an Elim but there is no way I could swing one of those names with big power. My SS has been through six years with no structural problems, the gel is still shiny and no stress cracks. Does anyone know anything notorious about the hulls construction or anything I should watch out for?
    don't punch the hull-sides too hard :wink: --unless you have an extra hand...
    lol I actually like them and have some friends that swear by them, but definitely not the favorite for everybody.

Kilrtoy
    Most haters are colt followers some of the other boats in the htm price range just cant compare too the boat many guys like too follow the trendys but Ive ripped up those fancy 200,000 boats with alot less ease by far I think theres no compar to the bottom the design is topnotch never had any problems just simple maint. I have a 2000 sr24 blown and love it its safe , roomie, and hauls ass, for a lot less price . this summer Ill be looking for a htm 30 which I sure could be built too smoke those other cult followers.
    I doubt that......
    welcome aboard by the way, now can you slow down so I can catch up

acatitude
    Hey Jmc... how ya been? Yes I have the bmax on it now but only ran it twice before I broke a prop blade last october. I thought the damn boat was gonna break in 2, it shook so bad, lol. had my old 30 on there that a guy told me was shot and not to race with it and he was right.. so Im gonna throw my labbed 31 on it this summer and see where im at. It has 130 gears as oppossed to my imco with 126 so I dont anticipate much difference. it ran up to 106 at about 5400 in a quick spurt before the prop broke, so I expect the numbers to be about the same. I think the HTM is a lot of boat for the money and fast. Ive noticed my buddy has to slow a little in big water with the 24 but hey I do that in my 26 on the delta so who cares. hell he runs right at 100 gets good fuel consumption, gasses it out of the hole and pays a lot less then me for insurance..and it fits in garage with a pull away tongue....... Hell with all that said I dont know why I dont buy one myself..

dumbandyoung
    Hell with all that said I dont know why I dont buy one myself..
    haha

WETTE VETTE
    There are several up at Hardy Dam in Michigan where I do quite a bit of boating. All of the owners love the boats, but agree that some seat time is required before feeling 100% comfortable. I have raced several of these boats and can say the SR's do run hard with 900 to 1000 HP. I think it really takes an honest 800 to tap into the trips for an SR, which doesn't really make it a scorching fast hull in my .02. I hear the SS requires less but have never talked to someone who owned one. Good luck!
    Craig

JLaughreySS24
    Fkboatman, I am selling my SS if your interested let me know.
    http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/3/84615743.htm

BADBLOWN572
    Thanks BC, how have you been? Did you get that B-max on your rig yet?
    I'm curious why so many people beat up the HTM's? No one considers them as a leader in the industry or compares them to the big names but there are always some that really dislike them.............. It seems Bad Blown is always referred by other board members to be the first to chime in when someone asks about HTM, why is that? What was your bad experience Bad Blown? My SS has been through six years with no structural problems, the gel is still shiny and no stress cracks. Does anyone know anything notorious about the hulls construction or anything I should watch out for?
    As you have stated, I do not like the HTM's. I have very valid reasons and yes some of them have to deal with construction methods. I DO NOT like the way they build their boats!
    HTMs have gotten a bad reputation due to their safety record. I know of 3 accidents HTM's were involved in. I am sure there is more, I just cant recall it off the top of my head. These accidents are a MAJOR contributor to cat hull insurance being raised and/or canceled. One of the accidents was on the Parker Strip with a person cruising. Boat only had a 496 in it. All reports that I have heard, said the driver was doing between 40-50mph. Driver's wife and daughter were under the bow and the boat barrel rolled. Like you said, HTM is a small builder. If you take a look at the number of incidents compared to the number of boats built, your number would be VERY high in comparison to other builders.
    I do not think that the boat should be used for recreational use. With the bottom it has and a high CG, it definitely makes it tricky and touchy, in comparison to other boats. Your margin of error is pretty small! Maybe they are all right for an experienced CAT driver, but definitely not for the 1st time buyer or a novice.
    Knowing what I know and seeing what I have seen, leads me to believe that these boats are unsafe for general use. You will NEVER find me in one of them. If you walk up and hit the sides of an HTM versus a DCB, Howard, Hallett, etc. you will notice a difference. There are reasons why they are typically MUCH cheaper than an equivalently equipped boat from other manufacturers.

JMC
    Hey Jmc... how ya been? Yes I have the bmax on it now but only ran it twice before I broke a prop blade last october. I thought the damn boat was gonna break in 2, it shook so bad, lol. had my old 30 on there that a guy told me was shot and not to race with it and he was right.. so Im gonna throw my labbed 31 on it this summer and see where im at. It has 130 gears as oppossed to my imco with 126 so I dont anticipate much difference. it ran up to 106 at about 5400 in a quick spurt before the prop broke, so I expect the numbers to be about the same. I think the HTM is a lot of boat for the money and fast. Ive noticed my buddy has to slow a little in big water with the 24 but hey I do that in my 26 on the delta so who cares. hell he runs right at 100 gets good fuel consumption, gasses it out of the hole and pays a lot less then me for insurance..and it fits in garage with a pull away tongue....... Hell with all that said I dont know why I dont buy one myself..
    Man, I bet slinging that blade was scary. Did it hurt your lower when it happened? I know what you mean about rough water, 2.5 foot chop is ok but the big stuff is just too hard on the drive. Are you still looking to head south? There is an OSO race on Greers Ferry lake in late April that I still can't believe is going to happen in..... ARKANSAS! As far as garage space goes I had to cut a hole cut in my sheetrock so my shit will fit! Just needed a few inches . HeHe!
    As you have stated, I do not like the HTM's. I have very valid reasons and yes some of them have to deal with construction methods. I DO NOT like the way they build their boats!
    HTMs have gotten a bad reputation due to their safety record. I know of 3 accidents HTM's were involved in. I am sure there is more, I just cant recall it off the top of my head. These accidents are a MAJOR contributor to cat hull insurance being raised and/or canceled. One of the accidents was on the Parker Strip with a person cruising. Boat only had a 496 in it. All reports that I have heard, said the driver was doing between 40-50mph. Driver's wife and daughter were under the bow and the boat barrel rolled. Like you said, HTM is a small builder. If you take a look at the number of incidents compared to the number of boats built, your number would be VERY high in comparison to other builders.
    I do not think that the boat should be used for recreational use. With the bottom it has and a high CG, it definitely makes it tricky and touchy, in comparison to other boats. Your margin of error is pretty small! Maybe they are all right for an experienced CAT driver, but definitely not for the 1st time buyer or a novice.
    Knowing what I know and seeing what I have seen, leads me to believe that these boats are unsafe for general use. You will NEVER find me in one of them. If you walk up and hit the sides of an HTM versus a DCB, Howard, Hallett, etc. you will notice a difference. There are reasons why they are typically MUCH cheaper than an equivalently equipped boat from other manufacturers.
    Since its such a fast hull, it can't all be bad can it?

BADBLOWN572
    Since its such a fast hull, it can't all be bad can it?
    Believe it or not, it is not THAT fast of a hull. The hull itself is nothing special. It does have a very high compression bottom on it causing more lift than anything else out there on the market, but that is it. The hull is one of the reasons why they are a driver's boat and not very forgiving. There is hardly anything in the water when running. Not only that, the CG on the boat is very high in comparison to other manufacturers.
    If you ran an HTM against an Eliminator Daytona (laid up the same) I would venture to say that if the HTM won, it would be by a minimal margin. I question if it would win at all. HTM lays their boats up LIGHT which is evident if you pound on the side of the hull.
    I have also seen how they lay up their boats. Definitely not a fan!

JMC
    Believe it or not, it is not THAT fast of a hull. The hull itself is nothing special. It does have a very high compression bottom on it causing more lift than anything else out there on the market, but that is it. The hull is one of the reasons why they are a driver's boat and not very forgiving. There is hardly anything in the water when running. Not only that, the CG on the boat is very high in comparison to other manufacturers.
    If you ran an HTM against an Eliminator Daytona (laid up the same) I would venture to say that if the HTM won, it would be by a minimal margin. I question if it would win at all. HTM lays their boats up LIGHT which is evident if you pound on the side of the hull.
    I have also seen how they lay up their boats. Definitely not a fan!
    Wow, I thought there was a considerable difference in performance from what I have heard and read. In there promo video it shows one 24 SS running a 9.41 in the quarter. Since there is no real center pod do you think this helps in the speed and hurts the overall handling?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast