Thread: Aluminum Salt Water

shulamite
    Has anyone been sucessful using aluminun intake manifolds in salt water? Edelbrock tech. said it won't last a year. However, My 89 Donzi 25' Regazza rarely sit in the salt water over night. Maybe a couple times a year for 2 or 3 days. The rest of the time the engine is flushed ocd. What do you guys think?

DMOORE
    Has anyone been sucessful using aluminun intake manifolds in salt water? Edelbrock tech. said it won't last a year. However, My 89 Donzi 25' Regazza rarely sit in the salt water over night. Maybe a couple times a year for 2 or 3 days. The rest of the time the engine is flushed ocd. What do you guys think?
    Well lets see. Every jet-ski and outboard is made of aluminum. They last more than a year. Yes I have used aluminum in salt water. Just like any other motor, you simply flush them when your finished. Remember, aluminum does not rust and is much better than cast iron in salt. Just be sure all of your annodes are in good shape to prevent electrolysis.
    Darrell.

rrocky
    Mercury Racing used them on the Hp 500 with a warranty. The intake manifold was made by dart.The motors in our 382 are 96's and still run strong.The motors in our 272 have them they are Edelbrock RPM's with 85 hrs on them on problems. The hours on the 272 are 50/50 fresh/salt water and we flush it every time we come back on mater what time it is .:220v:

Panic Button
    The Merc aluminum manifolds I have for the HP500 and my 502s have brass inserts in the water passages. Dart sells a marine version with the brass (it's the same as the HP500).

BDMar
    All Merc alum intakes have brass in the water passages. Every engine we have built for offshore boats have aluminum intakes and very few have the brass. If they are flushed properly every time they are run in salt water the average life we see is about 6 to 8 years.

maddad
    Having used a performer and rpm airgap on SBC's, I've found that corrosion at the water passages will creep towards the lifter valley.

rrocky
    Having used a performer and rpm airgap on SBC's, I've found that corrosion at the water passages will creep towards the lifter valley.
    We removed the intakes after 50 hrs to install a hydraulic roller cam shaft looked good but i have anodes in them.