Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '93 454 engine with '68 closed chamber heads

budnikjet
    Hi everyone.I need a little help from you guys.I purchased a '93 model 454 complete motor from a truck that caught on fire and I was going to just re-ring the pistons and put new main and rod bearings in it and run this motor this summer.But when I took the heads off i found that had afew more miles on it than I had thought and these heads are not real good for power.Anywat my question is can I put a set of closed chamber heads('68) on this motor ?Are they able to bolt up with water passages work?What will the compression be? The only reason i want to use these heads(closed chamber) is because they have been reworked with bigger valves ,springs ,new valves,new guidesand I already have them.Any help would be greatly appreeciated.

Stingray69
    There is way better to choose from. Closed chamber is the least desirable, by design.
    Aftermarket heads will reward you. Pawn the others.

Daytona100
    Gen 4 heads wont work on a gen 5 block due to leakage into the lifter valley. Supposed to work on a gen 6 block. I did it and didn,t have any problems. Find some vortec gen 6 heads they outflow the old style heads, and have small efficient chambers and the exhaust port works alot better. You can find them on e-bay pretty cheap.

QuickJet
    The Edelbrocks bolt right on either block and are cheap alternatives.

Nucking futs
    I have a set of done up gen 6heads ready to go....$500

ironman44bear
    It can be done . You can run mk4 heads on a gen 5 block. you have to fill in 1 water port on each side of the block up towards the lifter valley. then you have to run a special head gasket. it is a Pain in the arse. I know because i just built this exact motor . Don't do it . find yourself a MK4 block then you can run whatever head you want.
    Ironman

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have a set of done up gen 6heads ready to go....$500
    This looks like a very good idea.

Jetaholic
    Or you could score yourself a set of '049' heads (casting #353049) off of eBay for pretty cheap. I got mine for $300 ($100 of that was shipping) and had the 2.19 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves installed in them.
    For a cam, I'll be checking out the Isky cam kit from HTP.

curtis73
    I agree... just get some later castings that are already good to go on the newer block. The 68 closed chamber heads (even if they were installed on a performance engine) are pathetic compared to todays standards. Take advantage of todays technology.

Stingray69
    Not to compete, but I have new, take-off gen 6 heads (934's), complete with all hardware, including pushrods, lifters, timing set and timing cover and cam, from a 502 Mag, if you want to stay OE. PM if you are interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast