Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 70'S DRAG BOAT PICTURES

Retired flatbottom racer
    Thanks to all who posted pictures. Brings back lots of memories for me. Ray Caselli was my hero when I was about 16 yrs old. More please!

funnycarmike
    Awesome pictures guys, love em. Especially the shot of "Trogan Ghost" . Anybody remember who drove it? Also was wondering which boat and who the driver was of the flat. that pitched the driver out and was obviously still running and ran into the christmas tree. I remember that also happening to Clive Hughes, or it may have even been Bob Dice, but it was in "My Boat II", He got pitched out and ,I beleive he received a broken leg. Meanwhile the kill switch failed, boat kept idleing in a circle around the driver, finally a N.D.B.A. rescue boat rammed the errant blown alcohol flat. and were able to get to the driver. Come to think of it, it might have even been Sonny Jones, can't remember.........somebody help!!!!

JEA557
    Thanks for all of the great photos. It reminds me of when I was a kid and use to go to the Oakland Estuary to watch the racing with my uncles. Vern Amaral use to run BFF out there. Does anyone remember what Vern's boat number was. I do remember the name of the last boat he ran was, " Rapid Fire"...

djunkie
    Great pics. I especially like the pics with the hemi's in those boats. Too bad you don't see many of those around anymore.

Just-Jettin
    Funnycarmike, the driver of the Trojan Ghost in that pic was Jerry "the hammer" Hanks. He would later drive for Jim Cole in the Spooky boat BFF until the class was retired due to the danger and $$$$$ it took to run this class. I think the year was 1982 when the class went away.

funnycarmike
    Thanks, Just-Jettin. Cool to know that was Jerry Hanks. I only knew of him driving "Spooky". I remember Jerry being kind of a liitle guy, must be the angle, He looks bigger in that "Trogan Ghost" pic. I always thought he was one of the most talented to ever "shoe" a Blown Fuel Flat.

Just-Jettin
    Mike, the Jerry Hanks I remember was over 6ft, infact he was even taller than Bob Dice. Last I hear Jerry is in Bullhead city still swinging a hammer as a framer, hince the nickname the hammer. But you are correct he could drive the crap out of a BFF. Miss watching that class more than any other coming out of the marina at Ming going to the holding rope. Those dudes were studs.

You oughta try shoeing one of those Jeff. Maybe get the class going again.

CircleJerk
    Nice, raysonkid.....welcome Retired Flat Racer!

Retired flatbottom racer
    Thanks.... I've been lurking here for about a year.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast