Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did I get a good deal: 75' Omega 455 Olds

georgewa
    Greetings Jetboat people,
    Just picked up a 75' Omega with a 455 Olds with a Jacuzzi WJ pump. It has been gone through about 2 years back. The Hull was reglassed, new transom, blueprinted pump, and a fresh build on the motor (2 yrs ago). It has Hardin wet exhuast (log style). Some sort of cam, with a torker intake and a edelbrock marine carb. Was painted white (some chips here and there), and has good seats and a decent bimini.
    The only downside with this boat, is the guy left it under the weather without a cover for some time (did put the bimini up though). Living in La Jolla near to ocean, all of the aluminum on the motor is weathered (valve covers, exhaust, fuel tanks, etc). It's turn key, starts everytime, electric choke hooked up and all.
    Our family had a jetboat for years when I was a growing up(a 75' or so ranger 455 w/berk), so I'm quite familiar with jets. I'm not so used to the extremely low sides of the boat (feels like you could easily get thrown out), and the back seat is somewhat small (sit on the floor basically). The oil filter is almost rusted open, will need to change the oil asap. Even has a custom 12 qt oil pan with baffles.
    Reading on here I hear you all speaking of the potential damage to the pump (exspecially a blueprinted one) if ran dry. The funny thing is, we never paid this mind with the old jet (as with friends jets too), and didn't have problems. Think the pump was gone through once or twice in 15 some odd years.
    I'll get some pictures up so you all can see it. The guy I got it from is definitely well off and needed to get rid of it so you dropped the price drastically to $2500 (i had cash). The motor and pump were built by some jetboat guy in AZ somewhere. I assume the hull might have been too. It seems like it was built right, hope it has stainless valves and such.
    Also, what's the best way to polish up the aluminum stuff on the motor? And anyone running edelbrock marine carbs (carter)?
    Thanks for reading....

TahitiTiger
    $2500 sounds good like a heck of deal for a runner. My Tahiti if add up all my bills, including the cost of the boat is about $3000. And the gel coat on it is dull, and severely faded.
    also for short runs, I put a sprinkler under the pump (10 seconds or less). For long testing I undo the coupler, and hook up the garden hose to the block connection. Nice thing about this is I can feel the u-joints, I am always paranoid about the U-joints.

georgewa
    Thanks for the reply. I'll get some pics up so you all can check it out.
    BTW, here's the ad I got it from. I was the first to look at the boat, he just got back in town and emailed me. Went right over to check it out. I think I got a steal...
    [/URL]
    [url]http://sandiego.craigslist.org/boa/287616099.html (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/boa/287616099.html)

Moneypitt
    Time will tell. How did it run on the water. Did he open it up, flat out for you? Or did you hear it run on the trailer? There are currently a couple of Olds motors in the spam section........NEVER BUY A RUNNING BOAT ON THE TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!....Never, never never never never never...MP

georgewa
    I made the mistake of just hearing it on the trailer. There were ppl behind me coming to check it out (didn't want to miss it). This guy has a 25K bmw bike, mercedes cars, a rock crawler, etc.. He's some hollywood stunt director dude. But he seemed extremely honest, broke down all the work done to boat. I was going to check compression, but didn't have tools with me (he was totally cool about it). Visual inspection of the pump looks good (impeller), all hoses look brand new, idles/runs on trailer good, wasn't warmed up prior to me getting there.
    I'll let you all know how it runs on the lake once i get the oil and plugs changed (maybe this weekend).

pw_Tony
    80MPH huh?....hmmm yeah I bet

maxwedge
    I would say that's a damn nice deal for what you paid. If you seach "aluminum polishing" on this forum there have been a couple of good threads on the subject, or you could just send it out to professional polisher.

twowheeledfish
    I hate to be the odd-man-out on this thread, but personally I would not have paid any amount of money for that setup.

pw_Tony
    I hate to be the odd-man-out on this thread, but personally I would not have paid any amount of money for that setup.
    Oh come on give the Olds a break... it might last all season, or a couple passes, or maybe a run or two, or a run or tow.... never know

twowheeledfish
    Oh come on give the Olds a break... it might last all season, or a couple passes, or maybe a run or two, or a run or tow.... never know
    Its not so much the Olds, but the Olds/Jacuzzi combo that really gives me indigestion. Its like an engine with forged C4 pistons, spinning a pump filled with nitroglycerine. Something's gonna go.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast