Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEI in a boat?

Lumpy
    Hello,
    Would a HEI distributor with vaccuum advance be a lot better than a mallory dual point with mechanical advance? It seems most all older boats I see have the old dual point style distributors in them. Just wondering if this was for a reason or if it is just the fact that they are old and havent been updated yet? Right now I have an old mallory dual point on my 427 in my flatbottom. Any tricks or tips for using an HEI in a boat or is it just like in a car? Thanks....Lumpy

hack job
    i would say no hei cause of the fact that it is not a sealed unit !i would go with the pertronix system for your mallory distb. and that jsut gose right in your distb. its really easy to install and works great! just my .02 wink

MikeF
    I second that recommendation. There is a new Pertronix 2 module that has a variable dwell for better saturation of the coil at higher RPM's. If I had to do it again, that is what I'd do.
    I would also recommend sending the dist to have it adjusted for your flatty. They will ask you a bunch of questions about your engine. They can set it up for the combination that you have for peak performance.

77charger
    i ran a pertronics in my old jet put it in last spring and i have never worried about it since it works really good and i am happy with it.(brother now owns the boat)
    but the heis are simple too.but only seen them in closed engine compartments.

canuck1
    HEI 19 yrs no problems

Moomawnster
    I was told that the dual points are fine till the RPM's get really high , then the electronics are better .My motor never see's more than 4k but I changed to a Mallory unilite just to reduce the parts and work of a tune up... I've had no problems with it Just a note ,Marine distributors are sealed so that if they are under a cover the gas fumes can't get to the SPARK! eek!
    [ November 09, 2002, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

Lumpy
    Thanks for all the quick replies......One more question...Would I be better off using a distributor with vaccuum advance compared to my current mechanical setup? Thanks....Lumpy

beached1
    I have run an HEI on my 427 for a few years now with no problems. I just recently put a Jacobs CDI and Ultra coil on it and now it's even better.

Wet Dream
    Hei on my exposed engine. No problems and still spins the motor over 5000 without missing a beat. Its been splashed quite a few times from a hard reverse and the water splashes all over the engine, but nothing went wrong.

Boater Bill
    Electronic ignition is the only way to go. The Pertronix conversions seem popular. I would stay with mechanical advance and take MikeF's recommendation regarding setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast