Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marine thermostats

TAPPED OUT
    Does anyone know how good those marine thermostats work and if they will work in sandy conditions. Some people said they would and the thermostat kit itself said it wont. Anyway I will be running my boat on the colorado river in big river and the strip. Should I use it or forget it?

OverKill
    Does anyone know how good those marine thermostats work and if they will work in sandy conditions. Some people said they would and the thermostat kit itself said it wont. Anyway I will be running my boat on the colorado river in big river and the strip. Should I use it or forget it?
    I run at Big River all the time. I just run the water straight in no thermostat, there really is no need for one there. IMO just forget it put the money to better use ( BEER ).

TAPPED OUT
    Thats what I thought. I just have the water running off the jet into the pressure relief and then "T" ed to the block then I ran both lines out of the motor out of the housing. I got water for my headers off the intake I guess this might work out without the thermostat.

Jetaholic
    Read this article about proper plumbing.
    VERY GOOD READ!!!
    Should make perfect sense.
    http://www.performancejet.com/techtalkNEW.htm

centerhill condor
    I bought the prv from that very site and drilled as indicated...I run year 'round and never got temp until I had this installed. Highly recommended and trouble free since installed. We have sand and silt and I haven't had a related problem.

TIMINATOR
    We use the Rex Marine unit and install quite a few of them. Without logs to preheat the water you will never have much engine temp unless you restrict the hell out of it, and that causes an entire new set of problems. TIMINATOR

Jetaholic
    I don't see how anyone can claim that there really is no need for a thermostat.
    Lots of people claim "the colder the better...blah blah blah"...well...
    First off...engines are designed to be ran at a certain temperature. For one, for all your clearances to be correct, the engine has to get to a certain temp for all the components to expand to their proper size for the correct clearance.
    Second off...the engine has to be at a certain temperature for proper and adequate fuel burn...otherwise you're wasting gas.
    And third off...without the thermostat...lets say you set your gate valve (which is not a very good temp regulating device since it will cut your water volume (the amount of actual water in the system) and make your heads run hot) for an idle of 180*. Then you hole shot, and all that cold water coming in will shock cool the engine down to 120-140. That's quite a difference and we all know what happens to metal when it is shock cooled. With the thermostat your temp will fluctuate between 160-190, which is way better than 120-180.

riverbound
    I had one on my Spectra and boated Parker all the time, never had a problem with it, and as far as I know the current owner has it on there still.

OverKill
    I don't see how anyone can claim that there really is no need for a thermostat.
    Lots of people claim "the colder the better...blah blah blah"...well...
    First off...engines are designed to be ran at a certain temperature. For one, for all your clearances to be correct, the engine has to get to a certain temp for all the components to expand to their proper size for the correct clearance.
    Second off...the engine has to be at a certain temperature for proper and adequate fuel burn...otherwise you're wasting gas.
    And third off...without the thermostat...lets say you set your gate valve (which is not a very good temp regulating device since it will cut your water volume (the amount of actual water in the system) and make your heads run hot) for an idle of 180*. Then you hole shot, and all that cold water coming in will shock cool the engine down to 120-140. That's quite a difference and we all know what happens to metal when it is shock cooled. With the thermostat your temp will fluctuate between 160-190, which is way better than 120-180.
    OK so what if you have water injected headers???? As I was told if your running in sandy areas, you want that sand out of the motor ASAP no questions asked. An old school trick that works quite well is, take out all the insides of a thermostat and just install the frame of the thermostat. this will help regulate your water flow for good temp. and you can adjust your gate valves to whatever works best..
    I hear what your saying about metal shock and poor fuel economy if the motor is'nt operating at spec. temp's. However Here in Arizona, when is't a 125 degrees outside, I want that water to the motor yesterday!!..

Some Kind Of Monster
    A couple quick comments. Keep in mind I am not knocking a thermostat as I wouldn't mind running one myself that has been properly set up.
    First of all, if you are worried about gas mileage, you shouldn't have a jet boat.
    Second, A thermostat is not necessary. Gate valves are the age old solution to the problem and are sufficient. Mine is dialed in to run 155 at idle and 135 on the gas. My clearances are machined accordingly for the application, and oil temps are dead on at this setting.
    Regarding sand, I NEVER start my boat in shallow water. Never never never. I understand that some of you run in the river so make sure you check your freeze plugs once in awhile as I have seen blocks that have become plugged with sand before. I would consider a sand strainer if shallow water is necessary for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast