Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd boat companies

ck7684
    I am wondering if anybody has any info on the GMC Cobrajet boats. Also about another old hull I used to have. It had a logo that said "Vampire Boat Company" that had a bat with checkered flags logo. It was only about 14-15 ft long and it looked like it had a SBC in it. It was pretty rough when I had it (got it free) with a few beat up old jacuzzi parts.
    Just curious about these. Mostly about the Cobrajets cuz that's what I have right now

Heatseeker
    There's a guy in Michagan that has a GMC Cobra Jet boat. I can't remember his name here on the board(I think it was 1hotgmc or something like that), but his real name is Len. That's the only other one I've ever heard of.
    Kinda funny, a GMC Cobra Jet...

mach1alaska
    my first jet boat was a 16 1/2 foot cobrajet it wasnt the fastest boat but took chop well and handled like a dream , it was a great boat

kp216
    CobraJet owner here. We're few and far between.
    Heatseeker - You're right about Len. I haven't seen or heard from him in quite a while.
    ck7684 - I'll try to help you as much as I can.

killerbeez
    Dont know much about the cobrajets but when I tell people that I have an arrivee,they dont know what the hell I am talking about.

ck7684
    Thanks!! I really like my Cobrajet a lot. It's pretty damn fast to me, although I'm sure it wouldnt compete with some of the really wild stuff around here, it's definately the big fish in my small pond!! IMO, it doesnt like chop at all...
    I havent seen very many, even on the web, and it seems like they all have olds engines, but mines a 454...
    That vampire hull I had seemed like a real odd duck to me, but it was kinda neat looking. I think both companies were out of wisconsin...

kp216
    Mine is a 1978 18' with a 403 Olds. It's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, with my hardest pass on the lie detector showing as 59.6, which ain't bad at all for a 250hp small block. However, how many 18' jets do you know that can seat 6 adults and still have room for a full size cooler, tube and skis?
    Mine handles the chop very well, especially if I trim the diverter for the conditions.
    As far as being from Wisconsin, that's where mine came from as well. The manufacturer's plate shows that it was made by Ski Boats of Wisconsin, which is also out of business.
    Don't try to make the boat too fast. 70 is about the safe limit due to the hull design.

ck7684
    I am just beginning a "restoration" on this one and dont plan to add any more top speed. 70 is plenty enough for me in this boat!! My friend has an 18 ft Galstron Carlson with a 460 and it'll only do about 55, which is pretty fast around here anyways. His will definately handle rough water better than mine though...

inwo
    I had an 18' Cobrajet. It looked the same as my old sidwinder hull or a Tahiti.
    It didn't handle the same. Had a severe problem in some corners. It would kind of flip up one corner and suck air.
    Missed a corner in a narrow river once and with air in the pump the "brakes" wouldn't work.

CobraJet

Quote Originally Posted by ck7684 View Post
    I am wondering if anybody has any info on the GMC Cobrajet boats. Also about another old hull I used to have. It had a logo that said "Vampire Boat Company" that had a bat with checkered flags logo. It was only about 14-15 ft long and it looked like it had a SBC in it. It was pretty rough when I had it (got it free) with a few beat up old jacuzzi parts.
    Just curious about these. Mostly about the Cobrajets cuz that's what I have right now
    Hello, I was wondering if you had ever gotten any useful info on the GMC CobraJet boat... I have a 1979 that I just got and I am having one heck of a time locating info on this desighn too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast