Thread: I think bush is backing himself into a corner here...

YeLLowBoaT
    Over firing of Federal prosocuters.. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070320/...ed_prosecutors)
    Now not a fan of bush and I'm not a democrate, but I don't think something like this should be behind closed doors or not under oath( which mostlikly won't mean shit anyways). I personally think he is going to alienate even more of the GOP.

bigq
    Hasn't it been a practice of many Presidents to do this in the past? Ford, Reagan Clinton???

eliminatedsprinter
    The people that were fired are appointees who serve at the administration's pleasure they can fire them anytime they want and they have no obligation to give or show any cause. It is all the him-hawing and the wimpy explinations that are playing into the administration's opponents hands. This administration's PR skills are so weak it is pathetic. I swear, if President Bush walked across the potomic and saved a drowning child, this administration's PR people would let the Democrats make him look bad by claiming he couldn't swim.
    It's like how they bungled the Valerie Plame Wilson ordeal. It was a huge (and most likely illegal) ethics breach for her to reccommend her husband for that job. For doing what she did, she should have been fired, then outed and they both should have been fined for a sum larger than the cost of his trip and report. The whole thing, including the report, should have thus been discredited. But noooo, they didn't want to look political, so they waited for it to come out another way, ie the inevitable leak ,now she is getting away with a huge and bald faced ethics violation and all the while looking like a victim. She will no doubt get rich off a book for something that should have got her fired and fined. I've said it before, and I will say it again, Carl Rove is overrated, big time.

YeLLowBoaT
    they are his appointys, but the sentate has to ratify them. With out congress the president can't do alot. For example, the president can't pass laws with out congress, but congress can pass laws with out the president.
    Congress holds the check book. The old golden rule applys here.
    "who ever has the gold makes the rules"

centerhill condor
    the term "imperialistic Congress" applies here....now you've got to ask yourself if these lawyers prosecute border patrol agents instead of illegal immigrant drug dealers shouldn't they be fired?
    You know, we've fired 500,000 union members and it makes the tv for about 45 seconds...and you know the UAW does more work than the DOJ.
    All about politics. and its like wrestling with a pig in the mud...might be fun for a weekend with friends but not a great career choice.
    Meet the new boss same as the old boss! this is what the voters wanted when they elected a new majority. How's that working for you?

Old Texan
    The people that were fired are appointees who serve at the administration's pleasure they can fire them anytime they want and they have no obligation to give or show any cause. It is all the him-hawing and the wimpy explinations that are playing into the administration's opponents hands. This administration's PR skills are so weak it is pathetic. I swear, if President Bush walked across the potomic and saved a drowning child, this administration's PR people would let the Democrats make him look bad by claiming he couldn't swim.
    It's like how they bungled the Valerie Plame Wilson ordeal. It was a huge (and most likely illegal) ethics breach for her to reccommend her husband for that job. For doing what she did, she should have been fired, then outed and they both should have been fined for a sum larger than the cost of his trip and report. The whole thing, including the report, should have thus been discredited. But noooo, they didn't want to look political, so they waited for it to come out another way, ie the inevitable leak ,now she is getting away with a huge and bald faced ethics violation and all the while looking like a victim. She will no doubt get rich off a book for something that should have got her fired and fined. I've said it before, and I will say it again, Carl Rove is overrated, big time.
    Totally agree. And how about Sandy Berger taking classified documents, Bush blew that issue big time by telling him "bad boy, don't do that....".
    I wish the whole damn crew of idiots in DC would wake up and put their effort into solving some real problems, like border control. They don't care what the people want fixed OR are too chickenshit to make an effort.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The other part that Bush's PR people are failing to pay any attention to is the fact that. even though the congress posesses investigative authority, it ONLY has the authority to investigate matters WHICH IT MIGHT LEGISLATE ON, and the constitutional powers of the executive branch of the govt ARE OUTSIDE THAT SCOPE by order of the constitution, just to prevent such occurences of congress investigating every move the Pres (or the judiciary) makes and thus tying the govt into political knots for it's own self-serving ends.