Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a question

jimthetoolman
    I started my boat yesterday and it backfired thru the gasket on my tunnel ram where the top plate is connected to the dual carbs. My question is why did it backfire thru there and not come out the carbs? Did I just blow out the gasket or is this normal?

IMPATIENT 1
    I started my boat yesterday and it backfired thru the gasket on my tunnel ram where the top plate is connected to the dual carbs. My question is why did it backfire thru there and not come out the carbs? Did I just blow out the gasket or is this normal?
    i've seen alot of tunnel rams warp in this area and constantly blow the gasket
    there. have the two resurfaced and use a softlead type gasket and it cures the problem.just my 2.

Moneypitt
    The path of least resistance. It is possible the butterflys were closed and the explosion closed them even tighter, so the exploding gases found the easiest way out...........If you run power valves, change them..........MP

jimthetoolman
    So what would have happened if those gaskets where in good shape where would the explosone (backfire) have gone?

IMPATIENT 1
    So what would have happened if those gaskets where in good shape where would the explosone (backfire) have gone?
    the carbs, if thats the path of least resistance.if it backfired that bad i would follow everyone's advise and change all your power valves.you can buy a kit that prevents p/valve blow out with a backfire from summit racing or jegs.

The path of least resistance. It is possible the butterflys were closed and the explosion closed them even tighter, so the exploding gases found the easiest way out...........If you run power valves, change them..........MP
    good answer ...

i've seen alot of tunnel rams warp in this area and constantly blow the gasket
    there. have the two resurfaced and use a softlead type gasket and it cures the problem.just my 2.
    another good answer ...

the carbs, if thats the path of least resistance.if it backfired that bad i would follow everyone's advise and change all your power valves.you can buy a kit that prevents p/valve blow out with a backfire from summit racing or jegs.
    man you guys are too quick ... good answer #3

jimthetoolman
    As always thanks for the answers. jim

jimthetoolman
    Are blower motors the only ones benifit from blocking off the power valves? or is this not a good thing to do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast