Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billett Alum Impellers

CPBRIAN10THMTN
    I've used lots of the cast alum. Looking at the billett alum impellers, looking for some feedback, anyone used one? Obviously would be stronger but by how much over the cast crap.:idea:

GUGS102
    There have been a couple of SS ones for sale. As for the billet, no personal experience here si I can't say.
    Gugs

DelawareDave
    I was just discussing one of those the other day with someone. No thanks.

sanger rat
    They are made of two parts. Welded together after machining. It will crack at the welds after a short time. I would not recommend one to anybody.

LuckyDaze
    They are made of two parts. Welded together after machining. It will crack at the welds after a short time. I would not recommend one to anybody.
    Why would it crack at the welds after a short time? I know a couple of people who use this with great success and no problems with cracked welds.
    ~Brian

UBFJ #454
    Even when AL is properly welded the material in the vicinity of the weld loses about 1/2 the strength of the virgin material. With proper heat treating a good portion of the strength of the welded areas can be recooped, but, not totally back to the original strength of the virgin material ... something like high 90's % of the original strength can be obtained when the heat treating is done properly.

BrendellaJet
    That doesn't sound like billet to me...I thought billet meant it was made out of one piece, not two.

sdpm
    That doesn't sound like billet to me...I thought billet meant it was made out of one piece, not two.
    I was thinking the same thing?:idea:

wsuwrhr
    The term "Billet" describes the material the part is cut from. Basically a solid peice of material is a billet. Plate is billet. Rectangles, squares and rounds are extrusions and are also considered billets.
    Not a casting for sure.
    Two peices of "billet" could be made and then those two peices could be welded together.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast